 Administrative / General / 2801
Re: Suggestion for improvement
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 17:23:26 GMT

Didn't explain myself well.  Comes from talking too fast.

I use myYahoo for this but it works this way for many many ecommerce
sites (Amazon, for example)

If you explicitly log in to yahoo, you're indeed logging in as a person.
And anyone who wants to can use your browser, log in, and yahoo knows
its them.

But if you turn on cookies, then myYahoo keeps a cookie on your machine.
You no longer have to login, the login stuff is in the cookie. But now
your machine is bound to you from yahoo's perspective, so to speak.
Unless you use multiple browser profiles, that cookie is YOU and you
alone. If you have multiple profiles, you have the ability to have
different cookies for different people. But that's as good as it gets.

Now, if I log into myYahoo from several machines, and have them accept
the offered cookie, I can automatically be known as the same person and
shown the same things no matter what machine I use. but all those
machines are bound to me (unless I use multiple profiles)

And most people just don't use multiple profiles. So machines and users
get all bound up.

What I would like to see is, for a machine, have a "default" user.
Further, keep cookies for as many users as I wish on that same machine,
and when Taya gets on, she goes to LUGNET and says "I am taya". You
check for a cookie on the machine with her stuff. (maybe add taya on the
name of the cookie you ask for) If you find it she's been there before.
See if the profile info in the cookie is as good as what you have at
mastercontrol. If its out of synch (offer to) overwrite the cookie
associated with her on this new machine to get it up to speed.

Now, when I get a new machine, life gets easier. I "log in" to LUGNET,
PROVE I am who I say I am, and have LUGNET load up the machine with all
the cookies of all the people that I've designated as regular users
(people/family members whose LUGNET ID was created under my auspices in
the first place only, no getting Sproat's cookie without Sproat proving
he is there to say it's OK)

If a friend comes over and I want to let him browse, again, he logs in,
but he is asked "save preferences here?" so he can skip it if he's not
likely to come back.

I realise you don't keep just one cookie you have different ones for
different places. But the principle is the same.

Those are my requirements... just a SMOP.

Helps?

lugnet.