 Administrative / General / 2796
Re: Suggestion for improvement
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 16:43:36 GMT

James Brown:
Todd Lehman:
Brian H. Nielsen:
Which is fine, IFF your using the same computer each time.  If you hop
between work, 2 desktops at home, a laptop, & the in-laws PC it's not as
reliable.

Ahhhh.  I see.

Heh.  Looks like someone has my problem :)

But to provide a serious bit of input, I suspect that the inconvenience of
longer download (because the extra graphics would suck bandwidth) would be
greater (for me) than the inconvenience of trying to figure out where I last
was.

Hmm.  It would be cool if the server could remember the exact time of your
last visit at the end of your browsing session.  That way, if you went to a
different machine, you could say, "OK, here I am again, but I'm at a
different machine now, so please display things a little differently for me
at this machine."  When displaying a list of article nodes, for example, it
could compare the stored base-timestamp against the timestamp of each
article and display one of two versions of the itty bitty 3x3 image at the
center of the boxes:  white for articles newer than the base-timestamp and
black for articles older than the base-timestamp.  And you'd still get to
see the LINK= and VLINK= coloring on the machine you're using to browse.

To make this work, the server would have to be able to recognize you (via a
cookie) and that cookie would also have to contain some ID/name that you
assign to your computer saying this is your home machine or your work
machine or your laptop or your in-laws' PC, etc.  If the server noticed you
were checking in from a different machine from the last time you stopped by,
it could ask you if you wanted to use the base-timestamp setting from one of
your other machines.

Something like that might even be useful for single-machine users, provided
you could update the base-timestamp at your own discretion, otherwise it
wouldn't add any value.

Someday.

--Todd