 Administrative / General / 2800
Re: Suggestion for improvement
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 17:16:21 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> writes:

What I would like is to distinguish the notion of machine and person...

[Some snippage]

Hmm, I must be misunderstanding your meaning -- that sounds contradictory.

[More snippage]

Didn't you two just say the same thing?  It's better for people if their usage
history isn't tied to a specific machine.

A cool feature (that I think I've seen at least one place) is auto-logout --
where if you're at the library or someplace, the server gives you a
temporary cookie instead of a permanent one when you log in.  That way, it
disappears when you end the browser session, even if you don't explicitly
log out.  You could also protect yourself by asking the server to require
you to re-log in if you hadn't accessed any pages for some time period that
you had specified at login time.  Or you could also protect yourself by
asking the server not to honor logins from other machines in case you'd left
yourself logged in somewhere (I guess that's actually just a special case of
changing your password).

Another cool feature: explicit logout.  Click the "logout" button on the
webpage, and the in-memory cookie goes away.  Also good for the public-kiosk
user.

Now, multiple browser profiles do help that some, you
can have different sets of cookies by profile and Taya uses a different
profile than I do.

That's even better yet -- cookies plus separate (possibly roving) profiles.

Not really, if the cookie is still machine-bound.  The convenience of not
having to login to Lugnet is nice, but logging in (once per session) is not
that big of a deal.  I'd rather be able to log in from anywhere, and have the
Lugnet server remember which messages I've looked at, and which I haven't.

But I've solved that problem for myself--I've got Zip drives on all my
machines, and I keep my newsreader files on a Zip disk.  If I ever *must* use
the web interface (on a single machine, at least), it's not *that* hard to
find where I left off reading.

Steve