 Administrative / General / 2797
Re: Suggestion for improvement
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 16:47:03 GMT

What I would like is to distinguish the notion of machine and person...

I have multiple machines and may be at any of them. Other people in my
family also use any or all of them. This is where cookies don't do the
whole thing, inasmuch as they are machine specific.

Consider myYahoo. If you log in explicitly, you can be any one of
several people who will see different things, even from the same
machine. As soon as you take the convenience of cookies you're always
the same person. Now, multiple browser profiles do help that some, you
can have different sets of cookies by profile and Taya uses a different
profile than I do.

lugnet.