 Administrative / General / 2690
Re: CFV: Jonathan Wilson's posting privileges on LUGNET, REV 1.1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Mon, 23 Aug 1999 15:22:10 GMT

Tony Priestman <Tony@you-rang.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

Wow! Jonathan has really got up a lot of people's noses.

I've not been directly affected by his posting habits, so I won't be
voting.

However, this may be an opportunity to do something constructive.

The US is more mature about internet access than a lot of the rest of
the world, but more and more people are getting netted up.

I can see that in future, there may be many more people like Jonathan,
who think that Ldraw is a great idea, and want to have a go.

They will all have the capacity to annoy everyone.

Is there a case for setting up a lugnet.cad.academy.* hierarchy in which
beginners can hone their skills, preferably with some guidance from
experienced Ldrawers.

_PLEASE_ NOTE:  All the lugnet.cad* groups invite novices who want help honing
their skills.  Those of us who author parts _love_ to guide newbies in the
making of parts--it's how this community project progresses.  Lots of LCAD
people gave me tips and answered my newbie questions as I was getting started,
and I'm happy to do the same.

If you look back over the last year, you'll see posts to JW representing hours
and hours of experienced part authors' time spent looking over JW's parts and
making comments and suggestions.  I've put in several hours myself.

Please understand that this really is a unique case of someone being excessively
rude and demanding, despite persistent attempts at correction.  If it were to
become a more common problem, perhaps we could look at solution like you
suggest, but for now I think we can take care of this individual problem with
individual attention.

That said, what we do need is a basic tutorial for beginning part authors,
hosted at ldraw.org.  This could include suggestions such as:  "Work on your
first part until you (with help from others) get it right" and other etiquette
tips in addition to technical tips.

Tony, please don't feel like I'm jumping on you.  Rather I'm hoping to correct a
misperception I fear has been created by this whole nasty business.  Your
suggestions are creative and well-taken.

-John Van