 Administrative / General / 240
  Re: LUGNet Chat

(...) I dunno. Many (most?) ISPs these days don't even give out shell accounts, let alone being cool enough to install useful programs.... (...) :) Yes, of course Unix has it by default. The telnet client that comes with Win95 is utter crap -- (...) (26 years ago, 9-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: LUGNet Chat

(...) In Your Opinion IMO, WIn95's telnet does EVERYTHING I need it to. It is better than most, in fact. It has copy+paste capability, and logging. :) I don't know what more is needed. (I've never sent anything over telnet that needs encryption. If (...) (26 years ago, 9-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: LUGNet Chat

(...) Well. It's not a baseless opinion. It has very limited terminal emulation capability, has trouble understanding that a standard terminal screen size is 80x25, doesn't let you create an address book.... Not to mention simple aesthetic issues (...) (26 years ago, 9-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: LUGNet Chat

(...) Yes I don't encrypt my password when I telnet in from other sites either. Sarah (26 years ago, 9-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: LUGNet Chat

(...) For address book, do you mean a list of servers? Win95 telnet compiles this automatically as you visit servers. You can change the colors by going to Terminal | Preferences. Background Color has its own button, foreground color is changed in (...) (26 years ago, 12-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: LUGNet Chat

(...) Uh... Hyperterminal replaces Terminal in Win 3.x, NOT telnet.exe And yes, Hyperterminal works MUCH better than Terminal. I had to buy ProComm Plus in Win 3.X In Win95, I just used Hyperterminal until I finally went SLIP/PPP (forget which I (...) (26 years ago, 12-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: LUGNet Chat

[Followup set to lugnet.off-topic.debate] (...) An address book is better than that. Win95 just remembers where you've been last. A real address book will let you specify which hosts to save, and lets you do things like specify different options (...) (26 years ago, 12-Oct-98, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate)