 Administrative / General / 229
Re: Web interface
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 9 Oct 1998 07:50:00 GMT

"Mike Stanley" <cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com> writes:
So, now that it is growing and becoming better, I thought I might offer a
suggestion.  It's obvious that the cookie works, so how about making better
use of it earlier on?

What I mean is, when I decide I want to read/search/post via the web, it
would be cool to click on a link that would bring me to a list of ONLY the
groups I have previously selected (or subscribed to).

I think that's probably more of an advanced "member" feature more than a
regular "user" feature because it involves storing config gunk on the server
for each person -- and authentication an ID and a password and all that --
and our plan in that area has always been only to store stuff on the server
if someone is a member.

For memberships, there will be simply *1* simple cookie that gets stored once
and rarely if ever modified -- it will have your ID and password, and from
that, the server can look up anything it needs to for you, to customize
stuff.

I don't know about
anyone else, but waiting for that huge list of loc.* groups to load, even at
work, is a chore.  God forbid I should try to do it at home.

When I access via 28.8 dialup, it loads in about 5-6 seconds.  But I think
something can be done, definitely, to make it better without getting into
storing a bunch of stuff on the server -- perhaps something where you go
visit a page and it shows you a list of all the new articles on the server
since your last visit to that page (storing a timestamp in a coookie).

Or maybe you just tell it "show me everything in the past 3 hours" or in
the past 3 days, through a numerical box and a radio button for the time
frame (minutes, hours, days, weeks, etc.)

So that's one suggestion, and hopefully a good one, not a whiny one.

Now for a question.  I see that the cookie worked and saved my e-mail
address and name and such.  I see that the cookie box is NOW unchecked,
which makes sense - it has my info so it doesn't need to REsave it,
unless I want to change said info, of course.  But I wonder if most
people will get that, or if they will keep checking it, maybe even get
mad and think, "darnit, I told this to save last time!"

I was wondering about that...shame on me for implementing it the first way.
Try again now...

Maybe a shorter box with clearly explained option for REsaving cookie info?

Oh, and while it is cool that the cookie remembered I clicked the Terms of
Use box last time, it doesn't appear to have remembered I UNchecked the e-
mail me a copy box.  I'll never want a copy e-mailed, so maybe it could
remember that too?

Try this:

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/setup/

(the Post/Reply/Compose page links there from the "From" and
"Organization" fields once you've got something stored in a cookie already.)

All in all, WOW.

Glad it's working out!

--Todd

http://www.lugnet.com/news/       Search, Read, Post, or Watch Traffic