 Administrative / General / 228
Re: Ports that make firewalls happy?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 05:43:28 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote in message ...
Anyone seen a good list anywhere of ports that work with "most" corporate
firewalls?  Every firewall is gonna be different, but they probably all
allow, say, port 8080.  LarryP and I were running some news experiements
back in mid-August on port 8080, and he could get to that through his
corporate firewall.  But I hesitate to mirror 199->8080 because 8080 is
traditionally for HTTP proxy servers...

Could I just mention that for some of us the question is not "will work let
me see LugNet" but "can I make our firewall let news through". And the answer
is yes. But I did that because I needed a message off the Borland server, and
the Lugnet hit was just to make sure it worked [1].

And really, people, should we be working this hard to give your employers
reasonable grounds for dismissal? Because at least here, violating legitimate
security measures instituted by the company for its own protection *is* legal
grounds for instant dismissal. And a firewall is exactly that.

Moz

[1] Truly. news.borland.com typically takes >2s to respond, and is often
    unreachable. Lugnet is always there and is fast, so I know that if I can't
    get it then the problem is at my end.