 Administrative / General / 1986
1985  |  1987
Subject:
New site stuff
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 07:58:05 GMT

Been meaning to comment on this for a couple days. I think the new site
design is really good. It looks great, things are very intuitive, and it
seems like all the bumps are being smoothed over quickly and everything
is evolving wonderfully. I have almost nothing but good things to say.

However, there are a couple things about the home page that don't quite
click for me.

The first and more minor complaint is the giant Lugnet newsgroup search
box on the giant blue rectangle. To tell you the truth I think that big
blue ribbon should go, the traffic link should remain in the upper left
hand corner, and below the list of newsgroups should be a link to search
or a more discrete search box. This lends prominence to the logo and
makes room for more info on the "first page" (note: I'm looking at this
at 800x600). As it is, I don't feel like I'm at the main page of
anything. I feel like I'm starting a story two pages in. Something's
just a little off balance.

Now, the thing I care more about is a lot simpler and easier to explain
(and would be partially fixed by some changes mentioned above. This is
all: The list of "Links & Resources" needs to stand out more and perhaps
be a bit more descriptive for new users. Slightly bigger text? Brief
descriptions? "About" links? Different b/g color? I dunno.

Anyway, I hope this is helpful and doesn't come off wrong. I do so love
the site and this community I am still in the process of discovering.

Ectal

(Note: try checking things out in 800x600, if you haven't. Maybe you'll
see some of what I'm saying.)