 Administrative / General / 1992
Re: New site stuff
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 14:46:03 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Ectal Greenhaw writes:
Been meaning to comment on this for a couple days. I think the new site
design is really good. It looks great, things are very intuitive, and it
seems like all the bumps are being smoothed over quickly and everything
is evolving wonderfully. I have almost nothing but good things to say.

Thanks for the nice comments.

However, there are a couple things about the home page that don't quite
click for me.

The first and more minor complaint is the giant Lugnet newsgroup search
box on the giant blue rectangle. To tell you the truth I think that big
blue ribbon should go, the traffic link should remain in the upper left
hand corner, and below the list of newsgroups should be a link to search
or a more discrete search box. This lends prominence to the logo and
makes room for more info on the "first page" (note: I'm looking at this
at 800x600). As it is, I don't feel like I'm at the main page of
anything. I feel like I'm starting a story two pages in. Something's
just a little off balance.

Thought about that a lot during the design and testing process, so I know
what you mean.

The top blue band (the "toolbar" or whatever you want to call it) is there
for several reasons:

1)  Over time it'll play a much, much more important role than it currently
    does.  One thing, for example, that will appear is a little inbox-style
    icon that lets you know when there's stuff for you to look at -- auction
    updates, groupware task/messages, messages from your market agent, etc.

2)  It may make the home page look a bit less like a home page, but it
    keeps the design of the site more consistent overall, and the functional
    importance of the home page relative to other sub-pages is very
    prominent.  That is, the home page isn't just a welcome page, but it's
    actually a useful page.

3)  The search box is only two keystrokes away when it's at the top:
    Tab, Tab, type.  If this weren't the case, then it would especially
    a hassle on the homepage because that's the most common place to do
    searches from.  (Now ideally, the set-search would also be this easy.)

Now, the thing I care more about is a lot simpler and easier to explain
(and would be partially fixed by some changes mentioned above. This is
all: The list of "Links & Resources" needs to stand out more and perhaps
be a bit more descriptive for new users. Slightly bigger text? Brief
descriptions? "About" links? Different b/g color? I dunno.

Yeah, I know what you mean about that too.  What's there now is just a
place-holder for something bigger & better later when arbitrary text and
things are trivial to add to pages.  (This will tie in with the member-
pages thread.)

Anyway, I hope this is helpful and doesn't come off wrong. I do so love
the site and this community I am still in the process of discovering.

Yes, it is helpful, thank you!

--Todd