 Administrative / General / 1821
1820  |  1822
Subject:
Line wrapping in DAT files.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 15:04:45 GMT

Kevin B <kevinb01@netfocus.net> wrote in message news:FDFz59.6wp@lugnet.com...

John VanZwieten <john_vanzwieten@email.msn.com> wrote in message
This is a fun little ship.  If I ever run out of SW sets to buy, this ship
will probably mark my return to the secondary market :)

It looks as though you forgot to set your line width, as several lines • were
wrapped.

Darn.  I keep forgetting to do that!  Do you think that you or Steve could
come up with a utility to check the line width, and if it isn't set to, oh,
say 140 or so, a big hand (preferably with three fingers and wearing a white
glove) comes swinging out of the side of my monitor  and delivers what those
in the business call a "Dope Slap"? ;)

Todd,

Is there any possibility of curing this line-wrapping problem at the LUGNET
end?  I'm wondering if there is any difference in the CR/LF codes between
those "native" to the .dat file and those added by news/mail programs.  If so,
perhaps the added ones could be removed before the article is posted?

I realize this problem isn't your fault.  If we users could just remember to
change our line width, this wouldn't be a problem.  But, I don't really see
that happening consistently, so other solutions should be explored.

Is it possible to send an attachment with a news article, much like the web
interface?  If that could be implemented, it would solve the problem as well.

Any other ideas (besides the face-slapping utility)?

-John Van