 Administrative / General / 1825
Re: Line wrapping in DAT files.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 21:15:16 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, john_vanzwieten@email.msn.com (John VanZwieten)
writes:
It looks as though you forgot to set your line width, as several lines
were wrapped.

Darn.  I keep forgetting to do that!  [...]

Todd,

Is there any possibility of curing this line-wrapping problem at the
LUGNET end?  I'm wondering if there is any difference in the CR/LF
codes between those "native" to the .dat file and those added by
news/mail programs.  If so, perhaps the added ones could be removed
before the article is posted?

No, there's no way to detect the difference without doing some extremely
clever parsing/gymnastics on the text.  DAT files in news articles are just
plain text.

I realize this problem isn't your fault.  If we users could just
remember to change our line width, this wouldn't be a problem.  But, I
don't really see that happening consistently, so other solutions should
be explored.

Is it possible to send an attachment with a news article, much like
the web interface?  If that could be implemented, it would solve the
problem as well.

Maybe.  I would just recommend always posting DAT files via the web
interface.  Someday it might even look more like an "upload" kind of
thing than a "post" kind of thing.

Any other ideas (besides the face-slapping utility)?

The only completely 100% safe and clean solution would be to disallow the
posting of DAT files via NNTP (newsreader) or SMTP (e-mail) and only to
accept them via HTTP (web-page upload).

--Todd