 Administrative / General / 1308
Re: posting failure?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 08:59:36 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, lehman@javanet.com (Todd Lehman) writes:
[...]
But we appear to be OK now in the case of uploading large DAT files through
the web interface and sending large bodies of content via the mail-to-news
gateways.

Hold that thought!

I have to do more stress-testing before I can say I'm fully confident with
this fix, but I've got a good feeling about it so far.  I was able to
whittle the problem down to a very simple test case which I could make fail
consistently (loss of data) from the web-upload & e-mail and succeed
consistently (no loss of data) from a standard NNTP newsreader.  This
eliminated the NNTP server as part of the equation, as well as mail
transport agents, user error, etc.
[...]

Well, I feel pretty stoopit now for making the above post -before- doing
more stress testing.  :-/

A 595KB file I just posted (to a faux group) dropped a few lines in the
middle.

This bug is out of my league.  I'm not going to be able to fix it on my own
and have any hope of knowing whether the fix is correct.  I'll have to
consult the Perl TCP socket I/O gurus.

--Todd