 Administrative / General / 1307
Re: web interface for cad.dat
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 1999 08:47:15 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, legoverse@geocities.com (Terry K) writes:
Todd,
Minor "glitch" if you want to call it that;
When on this page,
http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.cad.dat:232
if you click on the 233 of the (231 / 233) link at the top, you get the
"article does not exist" notice.  Canceled, I guess?

Yeah, cancelled.  The code which loads up an article and returns it as an
object doesn't currently tell the caller whether the article never existed
or did once exist but was cancelled.  It ought to, so that the higher levels
can tell the difference.  You should never have to see silly messages like
that one...sorry.  :{

At any rate, to continue on, you have to back up to the main dat page to
get to the next dat file.

It stinks, doesn't it.  :)

Any chance of putting some kind of (231 / 233) link on the "Article
does not exist" page?  So people could just press on?
Or maybe better to have it just skip over unavailable articles
altogether and skip to the next article?

Yes.  When I revamp the URL nomenclature for displaying articles, I'll fix
this up.

FWIW, I think the fullthread.cgi script automatically ignores cancelled
articles when it's dumping the entire thread to the screen.

--Todd