 Administrative / General / 1026
Re: posting failure?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 07:08:48 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, buster@marsbase.com (Ben Vaughan) writes:
Todd Lehman writes:
Would you try uploading the raw .DAT file here?--

  ftp://ftp.lugnet.com/incoming/

Well, it's uploaded.  Sorry for the long delay.  Had to recover from a nasty
hard drive crash.  Anyway, it's up there.  Since I seem to be bombing out
still (I tried to post it prior to writing this) could you post it if you
don't find a problem with it?  It's the Kodiak Mech that's going up on
Marsbase soon.

Well, this bug is certainly interesting.  (Thank you for discovering this,
BTW.)  I've got the problem narrowed down to a file size limitation of
approximately 16.5 KB in an NNTP connection library.  I know that it's not a
bug somewhere in the core newsserver code because each of the statistics
postings by the server itself is about 29 KB, and there are several large
posts in lugnet.cad.dat, for example:

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.cad.dat:11   (50 KB)
   http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.cad.dat:24   (70 KB)
   http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.cad.dat:56   (93 KB)

So, larger messages definitely -can- get through.

The problem seems to be isolated to the News-by-Mail gateway and the web
interface; both of those "straws" into the newsserver connect to it using a
standard Perl5 module called Net::NNTP.  I'll have to do more digging to
figure out whether there's a bug in that module or whether I'm initializing
it improperly (like maybe it has a fixed buffer limit or something dopey
like that).

The reason that the large messages posted to lugnet.admin.statistics at
midnight by the server make it through is because these are using a more
direct path to the newsserver.  Instead of opening an NNTP connection with
Net::NNTP from a Perl program, there's a 1-line cron job that simply does
'statistics.pl | inews -h' because it knows the newsserver is running
locally.  (It should really open a real NNTP connection anyway, though.)

Anyway, this is a particularly nasty bugaboo because articles over 16.5 KB
posted from the web interface or the e-mail gateway simply disappear with no
error message!  I suspect that an exception is being raised without proper
handling in the Net::NNTP class or one of its ancestors.

Well, back to degubbing...

--Todd