 Administrative / General / 12600 (-20)
  Re: Compromised Functionality on Lugnet and Brickshelf?

(...) Um, I encourage people to spotlight posts every chance I get... (...) Adjusting spotlight weights isn't changing the whole scheme, though, is it? Spotlight weights have been around for a very long time and they get periodically adjusted. (...) (...) (19 years ago, 13-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Compromised Functionality on Lugnet and Brickshelf?

(...) Point taken. There are a number of issues that LUGNET is struggling with, but this certainly is one of them. (...) Left that dangling... I agree that it doesn't. Personally I think it might be desireable to not consider posts that didn't get (...) (19 years ago, 13-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Compromised Functionality on Lugnet and Brickshelf?

(...) I see this as being a key distinction. It's a perk of membership. If a person wants to be able to influence the focus of spotlights, they should become a member, otherwise the general lay visitor is stuck with what the members feel is (...) (19 years ago, 13-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX) !

  Re: Compromised Functionality on Lugnet and Brickshelf?

(...) I agree that people not highlighting isn't necessarily a bad thing, UNLESS those people then complain about what shows up in the spotlight. Instead of encouraging those dissatisfied people to highlight more often, the admins rejiggered the (...) (19 years ago, 13-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Compromised Functionality on Lugnet and Brickshelf?

(...) That's not really actionable, sorry. At least not for me anyway. (...) Great suggestions. However, they weren't clear to me, no... That is, they didn't jump out at me AS SUGGESTIONS at all. I've asked that posts that should be tracked as (...) (19 years ago, 13-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Compromised Functionality on Lugnet and Brickshelf?

(...) I agree! IF everyone that cared about what hits the spotlight list consistently highlighted (or didn't highlight) things, you would be absolutely correct. (...) Right... We don't. BECAUSE, based on user comments, which we listen to carefully, (...) (19 years ago, 13-Apr-05, to lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.admin.suggestions, FTX)

  (canceled)

  Re: Compromised Functionality on Lugnet and Brickshelf?

(...) Thanks, Marc. That helps my understanding of the current scheme ... Shaun (19 years ago, 13-Apr-05, to lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.admin.suggestions, FTX)

  Re: Compromised Functionality on Lugnet and Brickshelf?

(...) Again - in my opinion - yes. Lugnet has already been besieged by some serious challenges in the past 18 months, most of which were natural and forseeable consequences of a community that loved its small-village feel enough that it did (...) (19 years ago, 13-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.admin.suggestions, FTX)

  Re: Compromised Functionality on Lugnet and Brickshelf?

(...) Actually, having the spotlight feature honor the skip filter would resolve the highlighting issue, but unfortunately that won't happen. -Duane (19 years ago, 13-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general, FTX)

  Re: Compromised Functionality on Lugnet and Brickshelf?

(...) snip You can get the justification for the Spotlight weights (URL) here> and (URL) here>. This bit strikes me as particularly absurd: These can be tweaked as necessary. And will be, if we can't get spotlighting to highlight what we believe (...) (19 years ago, 13-Apr-05, to lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.admin.suggestions, FTX)

  Re: Compromised Functionality on Lugnet and Brickshelf?

(...) Seriously jeopardised? (...) It's not the only thing that matters, no, but posts to .announce.* and in particular, posts to announce.moc get an upweighting, and posts to .admin.* and .off-topic.* get a downweighting. That was spoecifically in (...) (19 years ago, 13-Apr-05, to lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.admin.suggestions, FTX)

  Compromised Functionality on Lugnet and Brickshelf?

Frustrated Comments Ahead: Is there any summary information available to try and understand how some of the major AFOL resources are now being administered? Both Lugnet and Brickshelf seem to have undergone major practical changes in the last few (...) (19 years ago, 13-Apr-05, to lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.admin.suggestions, FTX) !!

  Re: LUGNET Memberships

(...) No, it isn't. (...) something (...) links to (...) to (...) something. Hmm. I agree. Thank you for your help, Mr. Pieniazek. This will help tremendously, because I can subscribe to the two groups I frequent (Robotics and Technic), and not have (...) (19 years ago, 10-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: LUGNET Memberships

"Larry Pieniazek" <larry.(mylastname)@...e.DOT.com> wrote in message news:IEnsro.1DM@lugnet.com... (snip) (...) be (...) How about adding 'Getting Started' to the links on the home page: Newsgroups | Spotlight | Events | Links | Guide | Shop | (...) (19 years ago, 10-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: LUGNET Memberships

(...) I might advocate changing the little link on the front page to say something like "Join Lugnet!" instead of "Membership". Then underneath, have links to both posting setup and membership, briefly explaining the difference. Possibly also change (...) (19 years ago, 9-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: My First MOC

(...) Rather than asking everyone to email you replies, you may want to look into subscribing to the group (perhaps temporarily) by email, via this URL: (URL) first doing this subscription setup: (URL) to get your confirmation code ) XFUT (...) (19 years ago, 9-Apr-05, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: LUGNET Memberships

(...) Try this link. (URL) (after waiting a day or so for one of us to process it) write any admin if you still have trouble. See the header of admin.general for our addresses (which group this is XFUT) It's not necessarily an easy link to find. (...) (19 years ago, 9-Apr-05, to lugnet.people, lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: What software drives LUGNET?

(...) It's its own custom thing, written by Todd, mostly (I think) in 1997-1999. Long ago Todd had considered selling it for other forums, but I don't think it ever really took off. DaveE (19 years ago, 7-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

  What software drives LUGNET?

LUGNET is by far the best web forum I've ever seen. I'm trying to find out what software runs it. Is it a custom job? If so, written by whom? If not, what is it and where can I learn more about it? Thanks, - Joe (19 years ago, 7-Apr-05, to lugnet.admin.general)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact