 Administrative / General / 12599
Re: Compromised Functionality on Lugnet and Brickshelf?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2005 16:47:26 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Shaun Sullivan wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Shaun Sullivan wrote:
   Brickshelf seem to have undergone major practical changes in the last few weeks a months, many of which have seriously jeopardized their utility (in my opinion).

Seriously jeopardised?

Again - in my opinion - yes. Lugnet has already been besieged by some serious challenges in the past 18 months, most of which were natural and forseeable consequences of a community that loved its small-village feel enough that it did everything in its power to expand it into a booming metropolis (population-wise), with all of the anonymity, white noise, and questionable accountability that entails 1. There are dozens, if not hundreds of people who used to use Lugnet as their primary resource and who are now migrating to smaller (small-town-feel) forums, and only checking Lugnet sporadically. Making something as important (to some of us) as the spotlight column functionally questionable gives some people even less reason to stop by regularly. From a sheer numbers standpoint this may not have a big impact, but I’ll contend that further discouraging some of these long-time core members DOES seriously jeapordize what Lugnet has to offer to a great many people.

Point taken. There are a number of issues that LUGNET is struggling with, but this certainly is one of them.

   It’s not the only thing that matters, no, but posts to .announce.* and in particular, posts to announce.moc get an upweighting, and posts to .admin.* and .off-topic.* get a downweighting. That was spoecifically in response to user concerns about non LEGO creation posts getting far too much prominence in the spotlight.

That seems reasonable ... but doesn’t address whether un-reviewed (and unreviewable) posts should make it into the spotlight column.

Left that dangling... I agree that it doesn’t. Personally I think it might be desireable to not consider posts that didn’t get at least one (non author) spotlight. That takes a code change though, whereas adjusting weights does not.

Further, I think it would be really GREAT if people waited till their folders were moderated before posting about their creations to announce.moc... that right there would alleviate a fair bit of the concern you have wouldn’t it?