 Administrative / General / 12598
Re: Compromised Functionality on Lugnet and Brickshelf?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2005 16:41:43 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Marc Nelson Jr. wrote:

   Of course, the easiest way to see what people want highlighted would be to count the number of highlights.

I agree! IF everyone that cared about what hits the spotlight list consistently highlighted (or didn’t highlight) things, you would be absolutely correct.

   But the admins don’t see it that way, I guess.

Right... We don’t.

BECAUSE, based on user comments, which we listen to carefully, we have reason to believe that the actual highlights undercount what people are interested in. Not everyone that has an interest can, or does, highlight.

That’s not a bad thing, it’s just the way it is. Some people aren’t members and thus can’t highlight at all,

I see this as being a key distinction. It’s a perk of membership. If a person wants to be able to influence the focus of spotlights, they should become a member, otherwise the general lay visitor is stuck with what the members feel is spotlight-worthy.

   some people read but don’t highlight, etc.

I view this as akin to those who don’t vote, but gripe about government policy. If the functionality is available, use it. I highlight when I feel that it is warrented, when the view expressed closely corresponds to my own or when I feel the information (i.e. MOC) is of exceptional quality that the entire community could benefit.

Could be we’re wrong about what the users are telling us in their comments though. But if we were, how would we know? All we can go on is what people say.

Hope that helps.

XFUT to JUST .admin.general... I am not seeing this as a suggestion topic, is it?

I think that it might be time to brush up the LUGNET Plan. I used to think that we were well on our way to the end state when thinking of LUGNET, BRICKSHELF, BRICKLINK and PEERON as parts of a whole. Now I view LUGNET as more of a gateway to those companion sites rather than the community that was originally envisioned. The community content seems to have migrated to other specialized forums. It seems that the momentum of LUGNET’s growth has stalled and that the synergistic effect of integrating LUGNET and the data repositories and marketplaces above has lessened, but I digress.

I think the admins need to seriously reflect upon what rights and priviledges distinguish members from non-members. I would wager that for the vast majority of visitors the perception is that the only benefit to be gained by becoming a member is the ability to speed up the posting process. I would be surprised if many people even remember that there is a polling feature on LUGNET for members.

I suggest that the admins take a closer look at spotlighting as it relates to members vs. non-members. Who is the core audience? What does it mean to spotlight/highlight?

-Duane