 Administrative / General / 12597
Re: Compromised Functionality on Lugnet and Brickshelf?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2005 16:24:49 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Marc Nelson Jr. wrote:

   Of course, the easiest way to see what people want highlighted would be to count the number of highlights.

I agree! IF everyone that cared about what hits the spotlight list consistently highlighted (or didn’t highlight) things, you would be absolutely correct.

   But the admins don’t see it that way, I guess.

Right... We don’t.

BECAUSE, based on user comments, which we listen to carefully, we have reason to believe that the actual highlights undercount what people are interested in. Not everyone that has an interest can, or does, highlight.

That’s not a bad thing, it’s just the way it is. Some people aren’t members and thus can’t highlight at all, some people read but don’t highlight, etc.

Could be we’re wrong about what the users are telling us in their comments though. But if we were, how would we know? All we can go on is what people say.

Hope that helps.

XFUT to JUST .admin.general... I am not seeing this as a suggestion topic, is it?

I agree that people not highlighting isn’t necessarily a bad thing, UNLESS those people then complain about what shows up in the spotlight. Instead of encouraging those dissatisfied people to highlight more often, the admins rejiggered the spotlight results to satisfy the complainers.

Why not use the existing mechanism (which is open to all members of LUGNET) to correct the perceived problem, instead of changing the whole scheme from the top (which is an option open only to the admins and those who have the ear of the admins)?

The whole weights system looks like an attempt to control what gets discussed on LUGNET, and that is my problem with it. If that is not the intent, why not just implement the skip-filter on the spotlight?

Marc Nelson Jr.

Marc’s Creations