 Administrative / General / 12101
12100  |  12102
Subject:
My Timeout
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2005 17:41:18 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Well, now that the knowledge of my timeout is public (http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=12090), I suppose I can expand publicly on the frustrations of my LUGNET experience in recent months.

First, let me state that the admins were fully within their right to send me to the corner. I gladly accept that.

Now, to try to shine some light on my frustration leading up to my blue-tinged post, here is an excerpt from one of my e-mails to the LUGNET admins regarding my timeout:

...LUGNET has drifted away from the LEGO oriented site that it once was. I do not wish to discuss anyone’s age, ethnicity or sexual orientation. While I enjoy the rapport that has been established with The Lego Company, I do not wish to slog through the glut of posts (especially those that are unnecessarily cross-posted or mis-posted) decrying the change in color, quality or production that seem to have surged into popularity within the last year or so. In other words, the LUGNET newsgroup environment has become so stratified do to it’s compartmentalization that it no longer represents my interests. Yes, I know that sounds rather obfuscating. Let me explain. What this stratification has done is amplify topics by providing a collective focal point for voices with a common interest. Very obvious and not necessarily a bad thing either. In fact, I would say this is exactly what was desired. However, the ability for the average user (through the web interface) to turn down the volume on undesirable topics is severely deficient, frustrating and alienating the user by burying information relevant to them.

Granted, LUGNET has a skip-filter. In fact I shudder to think about what LUGNET would be like without one. I can filter in or out any portion of a tree or sub-tree depending on my personal tastes. Unfortunately, the filter is inadequate for the amount of compartmentalization that exists within the newsgroups. I say this, because often times a person will post across multiple groups to reach as broad of an audience as possible (the post leading up to this series of e-mails being only one example). In doing so, they circumvent the existing skip-filter since it only discriminates against mono-group posts and not cross-postings. I beleive a new filter that not only excludes posts originating in a filtered group, but also cross-posted messages that may contain the filtered group is necessary.

So, now I ask: Why are filter modifications so slow in developing?
Also, why doesn’t the forced FUT policy seem to apply anymore?

http://news.lugnet.com/admin/nntp/?n=1454

-Duane