 Administrative / Suggestions / 292
291  |  293
Subject:
Can we have a more robust Skip-Filter?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2002 14:13:31 GMT

Right now I can use the skip-filter to get rid of groups I don't like (in my
case it's mostly the non-English speaking .loc groups) from my listings.  It
would be nice to have a more robust skip-filter with the following included:

1. Skip by Author.  I don't care to read any more messages by user X, so
they won't be shown by default.  I can't think of anyone to put on my list,
but I'm sure others can.

2. Skip a thread.  Once a thread explodes the way  this one has
http://news.lugnet.com/admin/suggestions/?n=240
I've decided that I don't much care for the topic and would like to see my
listings free from them.  I'm not sure how hard this would be to skip, but
based on the threads and the dots, I'm assuming that Lugnet stores some sort
of identifier for a thread that we could use.

3. Skip big\small threads.  It wouldn't be too hard to do I'd imagine, but
say you don't want to see anything bigger than 100 messages, or for some,
anything less than 10 messages, in a thread.

To clarify, I'm just talking about the listings on the main page and the
"more" pages.  When I'm clicking through a thread's replies those messages
could be present.  Personally I'd like #2 the most, but while we're at it I
came up with some other useful additions.

I know this is more of a Todd-era request since I'm not sure how much of
this type of coding is still occuring, but I thought I'd bring it up for
comment.  Can anyone see any problems that would occur with these types of
skipping?

Ben Roller