 Administrative / NNTP / 1454
1453  |  1455
Subject:
Followup-To, ex post facto
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.announce
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 02:09:20 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

I have implemented a web interface feature which allows an news admin* to
apply a slight change to a news article:  If for some reason the 'Followup-To'
header on a post was set incorrectly, or was left empty when it should have
been set, this can now be fixed.  This is for use when a thread is getting out
of hand or is likely to get out of hand, for example the numerous color
arguments.  As an example, check out this article:

   http://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=48452

When it was originally posted by Randall, it was posted to the lugnet.general
newsgroup with no 'Followup-To' set.  When no 'Followup-To' is set, replies go
by default into the same newsgroup (e.g., lugnet.general).  I used the feature
described above to add a 'Followup-To' header, and set this to lugnet.color,
a much more appropriate place for the unfolding discussion.0

I believe that this new admin feature will help curtail accidental arguments,
and looking back over the past 6 years I think it sure would have been nice
to have it all along.  But that's 20-20 hindsight.

You can think of this new admin feature as a sort of gentle moderation,
although no content is altered other than the article's metadata:  Note that
when a new 'Followup-To' header is set, the old value is copied into a header
named 'Original-Followup-To', so that the original setting is archived and is
always visible.

--Todd

* currently:  me, Frank Filz, and Larry Pieniazek.