 Administrative / General / 11818
Re: Un-spotlight?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 16:34:10 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:
In lugnet.general, Ross Crawford wrote:

Which gets me thinking, why not also have a "un-spotlight" function? Not to
remove a spot light I've previously set (which I can already do), but to
subtract from the spotlights of others (subtract 100 or whatever from its
points value). So if I think a news item that has made the top stories isn't
all that newsworthy, I can vote to remove it.

Wouldn't that be pretty much exactly like the original voting system as Todd
implemented it?  I liked it that way, but it created such furor that it was
replaced by the current more friendly system.

Perhaps Ross is suggesting something slightly different-- IE that *if* something
has spotlight votes, that you can veto them, but that you can't veto
non-existant spotlights (in other words you can't downvote a regular post)

Of course, the problem with the original system is that a lot of people became
very vindictive, and voted down any-and-all posts by people they didn't like,
regardless of whether or not they were good posts.

As I suggested long ago, I think, I much prefer the system devised by Perlmonks,
where you're limited to a certain number of posts per day, which means you've
got to think through which posts you want to rate.

Perhaps another idea might be to allow people to categorize posts-- IE
"community controversy" or "new MOC" or "funny" or "MOC praise", etc. Then
perhaps you could filter based on those criteria...

DaveE