 Administrative / General / 11834
Re: Un-spotlight?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 2004 18:40:31 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, David Eaton wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Bruce Hietbrink wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, David Eaton wrote:
As I suggested long ago, I think, I much prefer the system devised by
Perlmonks, where you're limited to a certain number of posts per day, which
means you've got to think through which posts you want to rate.

But for that to work you would need to have a large number of Lugnetters
using the spotlight function a lot and maxing out their quota of spotlights.

Um. Why? The goal is really to prevent people from having enough votes to
wily-nily vote down all posts by people they don't like, or something. Hence, if
you've only got (say) 3 votes per day, it'll take you a *long* time to downvote
someone you don't like's posts. Makes you think about what you're going to vote.
And since it's rarely used now anyway, it's not a problem where people who
really needed it might easily 'run out' of votes.

I guess I was unclear on whether you were advocating a limitation on the number
of "highlight" votes or on the number of "anti-highlight" votes per day.

In general, though, I think the best solution (assuming we need one), is for
more people to make use of the highlight feature we already have.  Let's assume
for the argument that 100% of Lugnetters are interested in posts about cool
MOCs, but 20% of Lugnetters are interested in an argumentative thread about some
issue (Lar's shop, new grays, skin-toned minifigs, etc).  Those in the
argumentative thread, however, might feel more heated about it (that being the
nature of an argumentative thread) and feel inclined to spotlight posts.  Since
it only takes a few votes for something to show up on the top posts list, those
threads will dominate, even if 80% of Lugnetters don't want to read those
threads.  If only 5 Lugnetters would decide to start highlighting cool MOCs, it
would make a substantial difference in what shows up in the top posts list.  I'd
think this would be a more positive solution (assuming one is needed) than some
sort of "anti-highlight" vote.

Bruce