 Administrative / General / 11645
Re: Occasionally...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 29 May 2004 00:41:54 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
Scott is not alone in not always getting authentication mails, There appears to
possibly be something amiss in the system. There have been several reports
lately of this. Todd is aware of at least one of them and actively
investigating. This is the right place to bring up others, too so that he has
awareness of them and can investigate.

This might be related.

No, it probably is not related unless I am mistaken.

I've been doing too much posting lately, but
it me realize something.  Several times I've been blocked with a
"server responded with 0" "not accepted..."message that I thought meant I
filled the FUT or groups field wrong.  But this last time I just resent
without any changes and it went through.

There are a number of reasons for a " 0 not accepted" message. If there's an
error message along with it, read it, and fix (the most common message is that
you have included a group that doesn't exist, or you included too much quoted
material and not enough new content. less common is you didn't set your FUT away
from .annnounce when posting there)

If there is no error message other than the "0 not accepted" it is not your
error, everything about your post is probably fine. What it actually means is
that the server is teetering on the edge of being too busy (once it goes fully
busy, all accesses, including just viewing any URL, return the "server busy try
again later" page)

This server is right at the edge of its capacity and goes over, some of the
time. It's pretty tired iron at this point. It's not a good situation to be in.

Fortunately...A new server pair has been procured (thanks to a lot of donations
by a lot of very generous people) and is close to being ready to go. At least I
think it's close... I think the last thing to get working right is the automated
backup

All of the above is hearsay, my supposition, guesswork, etc because I am not
Todd. But I do get updates as part of the LUGNET Transition team.

Hope that helps.

Don