 Administrative / General / 11487
Re: More old LUGNET homepage prototypes discovered
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 14:12:06 GMT

Hi Todd,

"Todd Lehman" <todd@lugnet.com> writes:

* <http://www.lugnet.com/temp/old/hpmakeover1/>
* <http://www.lugnet.com/temp/old/hpmakeover2/>
* <http://www.lugnet.com/temp/old/hpmakeover2a/>
* <http://www.lugnet.com/temp/old/hpmakeover2b/>
* <http://www.lugnet.com/temp/old/hpmakeover2c/>
* <http://www.lugnet.com/temp/old/hpmakeover3/>
* <http://www.lugnet.com/temp/old/hpmakeover3a/>
* <http://www.lugnet.com/temp/old/hpmakeover3b/>
* <http://www.lugnet.com/temp/old/hpmakeover3c/>
* <http://www.lugnet.com/temp/old/hpmakeover4/>
* <http://www.lugnet.com/temp/old/hpmakeover5/>

looking through these now twice I think the current home page quite good
(better than these alternatives), so don't change too much.

Good:

- Good looking logo in the upper left corner
- Interesting or important stuff like top stories and search near the top.
- Looks nice with standard colors and fonts (website colors disabled).
- Calm, only blue-red-yellow (for that reason I'm not so fond of the flags).
- Images used sparingly
- No moving elements
- No Javascript
- No frames

I don't think there are many big websites with a home page
on a par with that.

Now for things that IMHO could be improved:

- Move the "Newsgroups | Spotlight | Events | Links | Guide | Shop" bar
  stuff closer to the top.  Add a link to the site map.
- To make room do less introduction, maybe put that in an about page.
- Move "Sign in" up and add a "Join" link, and generally make joining easier.
- The middle area is confusing, looks somehow haphazard.
  I'd either put some slower moving official news there
  (crosswords, cool sites, important meetings, ...),
  or an exhaustive list of the things to see on lugnet,
  with short explanations and recent content.
  In any case it needs a heading.
- I would put the links to the reference material closer to the top,
  in the right-hand side bar.
- Generally I'd use less complete sentences to make it easier to quickly
  find the right link (most people will be repeated visitors).

Jürgen

--
Jürgen Stuber <stuber@loria.fr>
http://www.loria.fr/~stuber/