 Administrative / General / 11021
11020  |  11022
Subject:
link labels
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 22:07:38 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Chris Gray wrote:
"Steve Barile" <sebarile@sstanamera.com> writes:
[Individual] membership enrollment is now open! So please drop by
<http://www.ILTCO.org ILTCO> and join now by clicking on the word and
<http://www.iltco.org/members/profile.php JOIN> found on the right side
of the page just below the gray horizontal menu bar. We encourage you
(as required by the membership application) to read the
<http://www.iltco.org/legal/ Bylaws>,
<http://www.iltco.org/legal/ Policies & Procedures>, and the
<http://www.iltco.org/legal/ Terms of Service>. These along with the
<http://www.iltco.org/faq/ FAQ> will answer many questions you may have.

Not to be picky, but none of those are legal URL's.

Chris,

:) Not to be picky, but actually, all of the URLs that Steve gave are
perfectly valid and legal URLs.

URL's are not allowed to have spaces in them - you are supposed to encode
the spaces as %20.

His URLs don't contain spaces.  The spaces you see are legal terminators of
the URL, and the stuff after the space could be considered a comment.  In
FTX, anything past the space and up to the ">" characters is taken to be a
link label.

Note that the URL doesn't begin with "<" and end with ">".  It begins with
"http://" and ends with the first non-valid-URL character (in this case a
space character and in other cases you might see a ">" character).

Its possible that you meant underscores, and not spaces. I didn't try all
of them, but the 3 I did try didn't work for me.

Did you manually cut & paste everything between the angle brackets?  (If you
do that, you'll get a "404 Not Found" error.)

Why not just simply click the URL link in your newsreader?

However, by just going to the 'legal' page, I found links that did work.

Do you mean that you entered "http://www.iltco.org/legal" manually into your
web browser's Location bar?

--Todd