 Trains / 20378
Re: Individual Membership enrollment now open
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Mon, 16 Jun 2003 19:07:28 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Steve Barile wrote:

All in all these hopes and aspirations sound great and I for one am keen to see it work.

As a further point how do you intend to delineate between what happens on Lugnet/trains say and what happens on ILTCO? After all Lugnet/trains is the current “International” meeting point of L Gauge train heads!.

SteveH

lugnet.trains is and will continue to be the discussion resource for world wide communication for LEGO train heads! ILTCO has no aspirations to be that and we have communicated our non-intensions to Todd specifically on this topic. The ILTCO assembly will have a mail list but it will not be use to discuss general train topics. Those discussions will be moved to lugnet if they arise.

Some of the things that we can offer is a repository for train related articles etc, be a rallying point for train related activities at conventions, perhaps be the organizers of a LEGO train convention in years to come. Being organized also affords us credibility, which may lead to a presence in publications like Model Railroader etc. For local clubs it adds depth to news coverage etc “The XYZLTC is one of 30 clubs world wide, there’s over a thousand enthusiasts modeling railroads with LEGO!” If the occasion arises ILTCO might even help set standards; a recent example of a great community LEGO standard is the moon-base module standard. Something so simple has created a huge ground swell in that community! Note that if the NMRA hadn’t lent a hand in standardizing DCC it would be still splintered with each manufacturer having it’s own spec. And the DCC for the RCX would have never happened!

The ILTCO organizing committee is not trying to govern or dictate we are merely trying to create a stronger organized community.

SteveB

OK, I that’s understodd - I just thought this needed to be clearer.

On an earlier point you mentioned “descent” (I presume you don’t mean I’ve gone to the dark side!!!). I meant to promote discussion rather than express dissent.

SteveH