 Administrative / Financial / 96
Re: Amazon honor system
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.finance
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2002 15:33:09 GMT

In lugnet.admin.finance, Cary Clark writes:
In lugnet.admin.finance, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.admin.finance, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
In lugnet.admin.finance, Cary Clark writes:
I don't know if this has already been suggested, but LUGNET could
choose to more aggressively solicit donations easily and
inexpensively using Amazon.com's "Honor System" program. • ...
I thought they take a pretty significant fee out, to where if someone
gives you a buck you don't end up with much at all... (?? could be
misremembering)
Thus making Paypal better from a net receipt perspective.
Larry's right, the fee is pretty steep for a dollar donation. However, for a
dollar donation, Amazon is better than PayPal. [...]

I just tried making some PayPal donate buttons, and it was darn easy. No
HTML was required, so I can put them in sidebars. see:
   http://news.lugnet.com/admin/finance/
Now thinking about what I could make for a custom button... and whether or
not I'd splam it on the whole site...

One advantage to Amazon is that one-click deal. If it's turned on, it could
make donating impulsively easy.

Gosh! do people really use 1-click? I'd be so afraid of accidentally
clicking on something that I didn't mean to do... but I can see it now:
"yesss, LUGNET visitor, you mussst press the shiny red button.."
[see pulsating graphic of 1/2 inch round red stud]

-Suz