 Administrative / Financial / 89
88  |  90
Subject:
Amazon honor system
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.finance
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2002 03:00:13 GMT

I don't know if this has already been suggested, but LUGNET could choose to
more aggressively solicit donations easily and inexpensively using
Amazon.com's "Honor System" program.

I ran into this today on this site (which is the best I've seen for solving
crosswords) http://www.oneacross.com

You can read about the Honor System here:
http://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/subst/fx/help/how-we-know.html/103-9755630-0115057

And here is an independent assessment by Wired of the privacy concerns:
http://www.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,41660,00.html

I personally think it's fine to put this or something like it on the LUGNET
home page, and perhaps the set/part search result page. I don't know if I'd
pay a dollar everytime I do a search, but maybe I would. I know LUGNET has
saved me more than a few dollars by helping me decide what sets are worth
buying at what price.

If anyone objects because of the privacy concern, the notice could be
excluded in response to a preference setting stored in a cookie. I suppose
that a PayPal blurb would provide a more expensive way to ease
contributions, although I don't know if PayPal's privacy policy is any more
sensitive than Amazon's.

Cary