 Administrative / Financial / 95
Re: Amazon honor system
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.finance
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2002 13:18:24 GMT

In lugnet.admin.finance, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.admin.finance, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
In lugnet.admin.finance, Cary Clark writes:
I don't know if this has already been suggested, but LUGNET could
choose to more aggressively solicit donations easily and inexpensively
using Amazon.com's "Honor System" program. • ...
I thought they take a pretty significant fee out, to where if someone gives
you a buck you don't end up with much at all... (?? could be misremembering)
Thus making Paypal better from a net receipt perspective.
Larry's right, the fee is pretty steep for a dollar donation. However, for a
dollar donation, Amazon is better than PayPal.

Here's Amazon's Honor System fee schedule:
https://s1.amazon.com/exec/varzea/subst/fx/help/payee-faq.html/103-9755630-0115057#honor-system-fees

Amazon's cut is 15% plus $0.15, so Suz et. al. would get $0.70 out of $1.00,
$1.55 out of $2.00, and so on.

Here's PayPal's fee schedule:
http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/fees-receiving-outside
Paypal's worst fee is 2.9% plus $0.30, so $1.00 would yield $0.67. However,
the two buck donation is a better deal, yielding $1.66.

One advantage to Amazon is that one-click deal. If it's turned on, it could
make donating impulsively easy.

Cary