 Administrative / Database / 1073
1072  |  1074
Subject:
Member details in set database moved to subpages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.database
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 04:36:37 GMT

In lugnet.admin.database, Duane Hess writes:
I hate to resurrect this thread, but I've also noted another trend which
disturbs me. I have been adding my name to the sets which I own, which
means that I have been cycling through quite a few listings in the set
database. I have run across several themes where a note has been left
saying "X-THEME SUCKS!" I am all for posting notes about a set that you
own, positive or negative, that's how people become informed. However,
what I don't like is having graffiti scrawled a theme.

I don't like it either, especially when it shows up right in your face on
a set DB page.  For reasons of server load and the above, I've moved the
notes and buy/sell/own listings to subpages that you can click up if you
want to see them.  It won't censor "x-theme sucks" for you, but it moves it
further away from the first screen.  Again, this wasn't done just because
some party pooper was writing "sucks" on some entries -- mainly it was for
speed of display and bandwidth.  Some of the pages were getting excessively
huge, especially when viewing 10 full-view-mode sets at a time.

[...]
I think it would be helpful to have a small check in place that allows a
LUGNET member to post a note about a model only if they own it, want it or
want to sell it.

But would that really stop anyone?

I find it distasteful to rummage through reference
materials and see that type of defacing. I think that it reflects badly on
LUGNET to have those comments available to general public. It might be time
to wash the walls somehow.

I think it's bad too.  If you notice anyone showing a pattern of doing it
a lot, let me know if you'd like to lodge a complaint and I'll raise the
issue with whoever is doing it.

--Todd