 Administrative / Database / 1006
    Re: Castle set rating curiosity —Duane Hess
   (...) I hate to resurrect this thread, but I've also noted another trend which disturbs me. I have been adding my name to the sets which I own, which means that I have been cycling through quite a few listings in the set database. I have run across (...) (23 years ago, 9-Jan-01, to lugnet.admin.database)

        Re: Castle set rating curiosity —Frank Filz
     (...) This is inherently a problem with any kind of open forum for evaluations. It is an interesting problem. I feel that eventually, for the web as a whole to be useful, there will have to be some kind of system which allows anyone to rate and (...) (23 years ago, 10-Jan-01, to lugnet.admin.database)

        Member details in set database moved to subpages —Todd Lehman
   (...) I don't like it either, especially when it shows up right in your face on a set DB page. For reasons of server load and the above, I've moved the notes and buy/sell/own listings to subpages that you can click up if you want to see them. It (...) (23 years ago, 7-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.database)

        Re: Member details in set database moved to subpages —Thomas Garrison
     (...) :-( You know more about LUGNET server load than I do, but is it really that much bandwidth to load some extra text? Not to sound negative. . .but seeing this a few minutes ago just depressed me. The utility of the LUGNET database has just (...) (23 years ago, 7-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.database)

         Re: Member details in set database moved to subpages —Todd Lehman
      (...) The display of the lists on every set lookup was the number two bottleneck in the webserver's CPU load. --Todd (23 years ago, 7-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.database)

         Re: Member details in set database moved to subpages —Kyle D. Jackson
     (...) Back when the personal set data was first introduced to the Guide, Todd and I had discussed that very idea: (URL) to point 3). How about this idea?: If someone is a LUGNET member and are logged into LUGNET, they can toggle a setting that (...) (23 years ago, 7-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.database)

         Re: Member details in set database moved to subpages —Todd Lehman
     (...) Still leaves a bottleneck, unfortunately. (...) You mean repeating the "My Collection" box in the sub-page(s)? Or glomming the four sub-pages into a single sub-page? --Todd (23 years ago, 7-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.database)

         Re: Member details in set database moved to subpages —Jennifer L. Boger
      I personally would like the 4 sub pages on a single page. Formatted the way it used to be, just separately. (I actually liked the cookies idea best, so i could have the option, but i'll settle for the above :) ) 4 pages is not "at a glance". (...) (23 years ago, 7-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.database)

          Re: Member details in set database moved to subpages —Larry Pieniazek
       (...) I would like to express my preference for this solution as well, with the "my info" part repeated at the top, and maybe with a link to go back (although I'm not clear why the back button isn't good enough for that, it's faster if the page (...) (23 years ago, 7-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.database)

          Re: Member details in set database moved to subpages —Todd Lehman
      (...) I can do that. (...) I'm not sure what you mean here by "used to be" and "separately." (...) Maybe it can swing back to that if I move things to a faster box and if not everyone selects the always-display option. :) --Todd (23 years ago, 7-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.database)

          Re: Member details in set database moved to subpages —Ross Crawford
      (...) I think maybe "separately" referred to being on a separate page a la new system. And "used to be" may refer to the extra blank lines between comments - I don't remember ever seeing all that white space in the previous incarnation, and I think (...) (23 years ago, 8-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.database)

         Re: Member details in set database moved to subpages —Kyle D. Jackson
      (...) True, but it helps reduce it. Only logged-in members of LUGNET would see personal data on the Guide pages, and even then only if their preference is toggled to show such. So the question is: of the total hits on the Guide, what percentage come (...) (23 years ago, 8-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.database)

         Re: Member details in set database moved to subpages —Dan Boger
     (...) what if we go about it the other way - instead of dynamiclly generating the pages for each hit, regenerate the pages with a rotating list, nice'ed down so it won't be a lot of load... it can check before it starts for a page to see if it needs (...) (23 years ago, 8-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.database)

        Re: Member details in set database moved to subpages —Dan Boger
     (...) oh, being QA, I have to mention... :) there's no way right now to get back to the set info, from any of the subpages... All in all, I didn't mind seeing everything there, but I do understand issues like server load and some comments... :/ (...) (23 years ago, 7-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.database)

         Re: Member details in set database moved to subpages —Todd Lehman
     (...) Nod, one thing maybe would be to simply make the set's title be a link back to the set view, but better yet might be to make the secondary yellow bar at the top work like this?-- LEGO > SYSTEM > Star Wars > Episode I > 7117 Jar-Jar's Debacle (...) (23 years ago, 8-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.database)

        Re: Member details in set database moved to subpages —Heather Patey
   (...) Coincidental this should come up. I've just started using the Opera browser on a PC, and was dismayed to see that the Guide pages showed up as really, really wide - the lists of members' names weren't wrapping to the screen, so the notes and (...) (23 years ago, 7-Mar-01, to lugnet.admin.database)