 Administrative / Curators / 423
Re: Following process and reducing clutter (was Re: Curator for sculpture group?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.curators
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 2004 20:59:31 GMT

In lugnet.admin.curators, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
This one isn't controversial in the slightest, except inasmuch that Bill isn't
using the process that we prefer be used to submit his request, (he posted
rather than mailed his first request (1) ) and hasn't, in his post, given us the
info we need to set him up anyway (didn't include his member number).

Actually, I wanted to discuss the issue first, before formally suggesting myself
as curator, in case other people were interested or whatever.

[...]
1 - this is, I suspect, a downside of the NNTP interface. I believe (but am not
sure) Bill is an NNTP user, and it is possible that NNTP users may not always
read forum headers/front pages as much as web users do, and thus, miss out on
scads of good info that is in the header/front page (one of the main reasons
curators exist, after all, is to update the header/front page of the group).
Perhaps the header/front page ought to be posted to the group (or sent to NNTP
subscribers only?) whenever it changes? I dunno. That doesn't seem very workable
but...

Actually, I used to be an NNTP user, but lately have been using the Web
interface because I only have time to visit Lugnet sporadically these days, and
would get too bogged down trying to follow all the groups I care about using
NNTP.  I mainly look at the top stories on the homepage and a handful of groups'
active threads, rather than try to read everything.

I didn't see the instructions because I didn't look for them, and anyway, I
wanted to have some public discussion about it before making a formal
application.

I'll send the email now.

--Bill.