  *3773 (-40)
Subject:
HandyBoard in Germany
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 5 May 1998 06:27:52 GMT

Hello Community,

I would like to enter the "World of HandyBoard" and I'm searching for a
Distributor in Germany (or some people who know how to get one in
Germany). I would buy it in every state: ready-made, kit and PCB only.

Is there a community of HandyBoard-Useres in Germany?

Thanks in advance, Have Fun

Kai Glaesner

Re: recharging a battery the right way
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 5 May 1998 05:45:41 GMT

you should charge a lead acid battery which is between 10% and 90% charged
at a rate of Capacity/10. In this case the rate would be 0.2 amps.  when
the battery is either almost charged (>90% charged) or almost depleted
(<10% charged) the rate shoud be Capacity/20 because the internal
resistance of the cells makes the battery less efficient at these times.
(paraphrased from "The Complete Battery Book", by Richard A. Perez, p26.)

----------
From: Rent-A-Nerd <phil@rent-a-nerd.com>
To: handyboard@media.mit.edu
Subject: recharging a battery the right way
Date: Sunday, May 03, 1998 12:56 PM

hello

    I have a 6v 2.0amp battery. Its a lead acid battery. What is the • right
way to recharge it?
    The reason I ask is because I had a 12v 7amp battery from the same
manyfacturer. I charged it using a car battery charger at the lowest • setting
possible. After 2 days, the cells had expanded and the battery was • bloated.
I dont want to repeat that!

thanks for any help.
phil hahn
thehahns@netwurx.net

Re: how do i get info on where to buy a handyboard?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 5 May 1998 02:39:32 GMT

Look up "Handy Board" on the internet.
It will be the first hit on the search usually.

-----------
ericson mar
Master of Engineering Candidate
Project: Mobile Robotics
mar@cooper.edu
(212)353-4356

Department of Mechanical Engineering
The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art

On Mon, 4 May 1998, BMajik5127 wrote:

hi i am lookin for a handyboard, i saw one at trinity college it came with
batt charger prgrm cable dc motors sensors etc... where do i get one a phne #
or e-mail address etc...
thanks -mike

Re: **handyboard**
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 5 May 1998 02:38:21 GMT

You can write "Interactive C" (IC) programs on a PC/Mac and download it
into the HB. IC is like C but alot less complicated.  If you know C, it is
pretty simple.  If you don't know C, it is just simple.

You can also write Assembler which is a little harder.  But you only need
this if you want to do some fancy stuff.

To make the motors go forward, you use the statements:

fd(0);
fd(1);

for motor 0 and 1, respectively.

You can get a motors and sensors beginner pack from "Gleason Electronics",
where you will get your Handy Board from too.
-----------
ericson mar
Master of Engineering Candidate
Project: Mobile Robotics
mar@cooper.edu
(212)353-4356

Department of Mechanical Engineering
The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science and Art

On Mon, 4 May 1998, BMajik5127 wrote:

hello,
i was wondering if anyone can help me.i dont own a handyboard yet,  how do you
program it, i am worried that it is very compicated to do. please if you could
send me some simple code say to move both drive motors fwd, how would you do
it?
i am just trying to get a feel for it so i can decide if the handyboard is
for me, also where do i get one with motors sensors etc...
thanks -mike

Re: how do i get info on where to buy a handyboard?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 5 May 1998 00:49:09 GMT

Mike,

hi i am looking for a handyboard, i saw one at trinity college it

The best place for all information about the handy board, including
the places to buy, is the Handy Board Home page.

http://lcs.www.media.mit.edu/groups/el/Projects/handy-board/index.html

To get directly to the page on where to buy them, then go here:

http://lcs.www.media.mit.edu/groups/el/Projects/handy-board/howtoget/i
ndex.html

We (at the Uni) purchased ours from

                        Patrick Hui, based in Hong Kong, offers Handy
                        Board kits and assembled systems.

i was wondering if anyone can help me.i dont own a handyboard yet,
how do you program it, i am worried that it is very compicated to do.
please if you could send me some simple code say to move both drive
motors fwd, how would you do it?

Programming the HandyBoard is very simple.  Not much effort at all.
The information received from the Handy Board explains how to program
it.
As for sample code, it depends on how you intend to program it.
You can program in C, or you can program in machine code.

It is best to possible obtain a Handy board first, then try
programming.

________________________
i was wondering if anyone can help me.i dont own a handyboard yet,
how do you program it, i am worried that it is very compicated to do.
please if you could send me some simple code say to move both drive
motors fwd, how would you do it?
i am just trying to get a feel for it so i can decide if the
handyboard is
for me, also where do i get one with motors sensors etc...
thanks -mike

hi i am lookin for a handyboard, i saw one at trinity college it
came with
batt charger prgrm cable dc motors sensors etc... where do i get one a phne #
or e-mail address etc...
thanks -mike

Charles Hacker
School of Engineering
Griffith University - Gold Coast
PMB 50 Gold Coast Mail Centre
Southport Queensland 9726
Australia.
Email - C.Hacker@eas.gu.edu.au
Ph. (07) 55948 670
Fax.(07) 55948 065

Re: LCD Addressing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 5 May 1998 00:15:24 GMT

Mike,

Chuck McManis may have answered your request, but in case you still
want sample code I am attaching an example code that prints to the
HandyBoard display.
(The code forms part of the Handy Board buffalo I had developed).

I had trouble getting the display working as well.
The main problems were:

1.  In single line display, the display is to dark to read.
     Putting the display in two line, allowed the writing on the
     display to be read.

2.  You first need to send a 'Display On' code to the display,
     before any future writes to the display will work.

Charles Hacker
School of Engineering
Griffith University - Gold Coast
PMB 50 Gold Coast Mail Centre
Southport Queensland 9726
Australia.
Email - C.Hacker@eas.gu.edu.au
Ph. (07) 55948 670
Fax.(07) 55948 065

Subject:
how do i get info on where to buy a handyboard?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 5 May 1998 00:08:01 GMT

hi i am lookin for a handyboard, i saw one at trinity college it came with
batt charger prgrm cable dc motors sensors etc... where do i get one a phne #
or e-mail address etc...
thanks -mike

Re: Controlling a DC motor 3
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Tue, 5 May 1998 00:01:06 GMT

Within limits, the rate doesn't matter much.  What matters is the
ratio of off time to on time (i.e., the duty cycle).  Probably, you
could change the frequency by an order of magnitude either way and get
about the same results.

Actually, the frequency is somewhat important.  The faster you switch,
the more power will be lost to the switching of the power transistors
and the filtering effect provided by the inductance of the motor.  At
the other extreme, frequencies that are too slow will cause the motor to
run sporadically instead of smoothly.  For the motors I'm using I ran an
experiment of controlling the motors with a constant power ratio and a
variable frequency, and found that the optimum frequency was around
30Hz.  Of course, that number is entirely dependent on the motor design;
smaller motors will need faster frequencies; larger motors will probably
do better with slower frequencies.

  - Mike

Subject:
**handyboard**
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 4 May 1998 23:40:53 GMT

hello,
i was wondering if anyone can help me.i dont own a handyboard yet,  how do you
program it, i am worried that it is very compicated to do. please if you could
send me some simple code say to move both drive motors fwd, how would you do
it?
i am just trying to get a feel for it so i can decide if the handyboard is
for me, also where do i get one with motors sensors etc...
thanks -mike

Re: Cannot download pcode on a Mac G3
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 4 May 1998 23:25:38 GMT

I have a 266 G3 minitower, and I have the identical problem.  The only way
to solve this is to let IC die, not reset the HB and then run IC again.  It
complains to can't talk to the HB, and then I reset the HB and all works
fine.  Kinda odd, but it works.

Hi Paul,

This is the first time we've heard of such a problem with IC 3.1 on the
Mac G3.  Can you verify that it is the case that pcode download works
fine for you from other Macintoshes?

-- Randy

-------------

Paul E. Rybski wrote:

Hello everyone,
        I've been having a problem downloading pcode to a handyboard or
rugwarrior board from my Mac G3 (266 Mhz desktop model).  When I try to
download the bootstrap code, it reports that the bootstrap failed after
000 bytes, etc.. etc...   The funny thing is that I am able to
communicate with either the rug warrior or handyboard just fine as long
as they both have working pcode installed in them already.  I am using IC
version 3.1 and have found this behavior to be the same for both the
modem and the printer port.
        I have also found that when I try to change the definitions file
in the preferences menu to download different pcode and libraries to the
handyboard or rug warrior, IC crashes usually during the second
configuration swap.

        I thought that I'd try using IC 2.852 to see if I would get
better behavior.  Here's a transcript of the failed download:

Please place board in download mode and press RETURN
To quit, press Q
For help, press H
Downloading 256 byte bootstrap (229 data)
.....................................___________________________
Timeout on serial receive.  256 chars left to receive
Perhaps the board was not connected properly or not in download mode

Please place board in download mode and press RETURN
To quit, press Q
For help, press H

        Has anybody else had similar problems?  Randy or Fred, any ideas
as to why IC doesn't like my Mac G3?  I'm running system 8.1, BTW.

-Paul.

Randy Sargent                        Newton Research Labs
President                            Robotic Systems and Software
rsargent@newtonlabs.com              http://www.newtonlabs.com/

Mike Reiling
     macman@inreach.com
University of the Pacific
Student of Computer Science

        One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.

Subject:
Hardware Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 4 May 1998 23:07:12 GMT

Recently, many of you have had pretty specific hardware-related questions.
The best thing to do is to read Appendix B of the MIT 6.270 Robot Builder's
Guide (Appendix A of the new 1998 Course Notes).  This appendix contains a
complete description of the 6.270 hardware.  "Nearly all of the technical
discussion translates directly into an explanation of how the Handy Board
works."  The software describes the memory mapping of output and input
devices (using Y0-Y5, multiplexing w/ a '374), the motor drivers, analog
inputs, serial communication, IR recv/xmit, etc.  The information presented
in the Appendix is invaluable for both tinkerers and the curious.
Rob Bonstein
For the Appendix, see:
http://lcs.www.media.mit.edu/groups/el/projects/handy-board/techdocs/index.h
tml

Re: Motor Drivers in 7000 - 7fff
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 4 May 1998 22:41:11 GMT

Jaron,

QUESTION - Why can the whole memory range from 7000 - 7fff be used to set
the motor drivers or to fetch the digital input signals?

This was done (obviously) to save extra decoding circuitry needed on
the board.

That is, if the handy board needed to assign (say) 7000 as the motor
then sixteen address lines need to be decoded (binary 0111 000 000
000).
Yet with the address of 7000 - 7FFF, only the first four bits
(binary 0111 = 7) need to be decoded.

This is essentially wasteful in memory locations, yet with plently of
address space this is not really a problem.

Charles Hacker
School of Engineering
Griffith University - Gold Coast
PMB 50 Gold Coast Mail Centre
Southport Queensland 9726
Australia.
Email - C.Hacker@eas.gu.edu.au
Ph. (07) 55948 670
Fax.(07) 55948 065

Subject:
Working with a different compiler 2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 4 May 1998 21:07:08 GMT

Howdy All,

I am in a happy mood today. I finally got to the 'hello world' stage.

All I had to do was count the number of interrupts, * 2 (16 bit addresses),
subtract this from BFFF which is the reset vector and thus supply BFD6 to
my linker to start its vector table.

I learned a lot from the responses people gave me, thanks ! I came to a
solution by taking the time and actively looking for a solution using the
tools I have.  Yes I am proud today.

Using the following code;

@port volatile unsigned char MOTOR @0x7000;
void main ()
{
int i,j;
while (1) {
for (i=0;i<=255;i++) {
MOTOR= i;
for (j=0;j<4000;j++) {
_asm("nop\n");
}
}
}
}

I managed to make my motor leds flicker,
the @0x7000 is a efficient way to use memory mapped peripherals
the included NOP instruction was just to slow things down and to try the
so-called in-line assembly.
After creating big database applications for companies I am as happy as a
kid with my Christmas lighting.

QUESTION - Why can the whole memory range from 7000 - 7fff be used to set
the motor drivers or to fetch the digital input signals?

thanks everybody,
I'll continue my quest ...

Jaron

Re: LCD Addressing - & - Expanded Mode
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 4 May 1998 18:52:52 GMT

From the driver code I recently sent out:
* LCD Connections on the Handyboard
* PORTB bit 0 - R/W
* PORTB bit 1 - RS (Register Select, 0 = instruction)
* PORTC 8 bits of Data
* PORTA bit 4 - E clock

Mike Davis wrote:
Does this mean that the LCD is NOT memory mapped?

That is correct, the LCD is NOT memory mapped, it is connected
directly to the pins on the 68HC11 that become ports A, B, and C
in "single chip" mode.

Do I first have to write to Port B then write to Port A, to clock
it.

That is correct.
Something like:
Write B
Write C (this is your data)
Write the clock high
NOP
Write the clock low
(The NOP is to insure the timing requirements of the LCD are met,
you can leave it out but it can screw up when the LCD is cold)

This must mean that I have to go into and out of expanded mode to
use both the LCD and the SRAM?  That's kinda wierd.

Not exactly, it means the SRAM is unavailable to you when you are
in single chip mode, however there is at least 256 bytes of RAM
addressed at address 0 that is available (its inside the
processor). It's not "kinda" weird, it is very, very weird.

Anything else you can point me to as far as addressing the LCD and
accessing SRAM via assembly code?

Other than the source I sent out? Not really. Note that you can't
address SRAM easily in single chip mode. I suspect it is possible
but it is much easier to copy stuff from SRAM into the first 256
bytes before you switch into single chip mode.

--Chuck

Re: dc motor blues
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 4 May 1998 18:43:24 GMT

Hi All;

        Along the same lines, I would LOVE to control my motors so they run
at constant speed under varying load.  I know that it's theoretically
possible to sense the RPM of a PM DC motor by tracking the drive voltage as
the commutator makes and breaks.  Has anyone tried using this as feedback in
a PWM control loop?  I'm guessing that the PWM frequency would have to be at
least an order of magnitude greater than the motor RPM.  Or would it just be
easier to use an encoder?

Brett Anthony
Research Technician
School of Engineering and Computer Science
California State University, Sacramento

e-mail: anthonyb@ecs.csus.edu
phone: (916)278-6253
fax: (916)278-5949
address: Brett Anthony
E&CS, CSUS
6000 J St
Sacramento CA 95819-6023

RE: Connections
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 4 May 1998 18:16:40 GMT

Hmm... I had the same problem and made an only mildly inelegant kludge with
straight and right-angle headers.  How much do you enjoy soldering?

Seriously, does anyone know of any single-row intraconnectors?
Brett Anthony
Research Technician
School of Engineering and Computer Science
California State University, Sacramento

e-mail: anthonyb@ecs.csus.edu
phone: (916)278-6253
fax: (916)278-5949
address: Brett Anthony
E&CS, CSUS
6000 J St
Sacramento CA 95819-6023

Re: Cannot download pcode on a Mac G3
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 4 May 1998 17:05:28 GMT

On Mon, 4 May 1998, Randy Sargent wrote:

This is the first time we've heard of such a problem with IC 3.1 on the
Mac G3.  Can you verify that it is the case that pcode download works
fine for you from other Macintoshes?

Yes.  Using the same set of boards, I can download pcode using IC 3.1 as
well as IC 2.xxx from my old macintosh Centris 650 as well as from
Performa 6100.

-Paul

Re: Cannot download pcode on a Mac G3
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 4 May 1998 16:46:18 GMT

Paul E. Rybski wrote:

[...]

Re: Schematic drawing - freeware ???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 4 May 1998 14:23:14 GMT

Hi Les,

i´m using a nice drawing programm (TARGET 2001).  In germany we can get a
"lite" Version of a big-drawing programm it´ easy to use and it works great,
but it is in german.

If you are interested, send me a mail

tschau bernd

Les Novotny wrote:

Hi,
Has anyone come across a freeware schematic drawing package for Windows PC?

Any help would be much appreciated..

thanks in advance..

Les

Re: Handy Board problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 4 May 1998 14:14:12 GMT

I got mine from FutureActive. I don't remember what the cost was and I
don't remember what else I got from them, but it was more than just that. I
think I placed about 2 orders with them. I would much rather deal with
Mouser and Digikey. If you have at least $50 worth of parts to get, I would
suggest trying Allied. They seem to have everything and at great prices
compared to others, but they want you to spend at least $50. I don't
remember why I did not like ordering from FutureActive, but there was a
reason.

At 10:29 PM 5/2/98 -0400, Charley Webb wrote:
I was wondering if anyone knows where I could purchase the Sharp Is1U60 IR
detector. I have looked for it, however none of the distributors I have
checked with even carry it.
I tried Digikey, Mouser Electronics, JDR, Jameco, BG Micro, and others.

Any information GREATLY appreciated.

WebGard LLC dba ESSLink
World Wide Web: http://www.esslink.com
Email: info@esslink.com
Phone: (860) 693-2448
Toll Free: 1-800-838-2302
Fax: (860) 693-6298

Jonathan Swaby                         305 Sparks Bldg
Computer Support Specialist            814-865-0693

Penn State University                  mailto:jfs10@psu.edu
Department of Speech Communication    http://cac.psu.edu/~jfs10
Department of Philosophy
______

Re: LCD Addressing - & - Expanded Mode
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 4 May 1998 13:15:54 GMT

I found the driver you sent earlier.  Thanks.  BTW, I found out that
my LCD is good but I still have a problem.

It appears that I cannot change my CONFIG reg.  Maybe because it is
an 811E2; don't know.  Should be able to however.

Since the program was complaining about not being able to change the
CONFIG and reporting that it was invalid at 0xFF, I used that value
to trick the program (hbdl).  It worked as far as getting passed the
check.  It downloaded the program and the IC display came up on the
display.

Now, my problem is why can't I change the CONFIG reg?
What is the CONFIG of my MCU?

A 0xFF in CONFIG seems to have EEPROM at F800, which overlaps the
SRAM.  The CONFIG reg should be set to maybe 0x2E but it won't
change.

Does anyone have a solution for this?  Do I now have 32K - 2K of SRAM
and 2K of EEPROM?  Is that a problem?  Any suggestions?

Date:          Mon, 04 May 1998 11:52:52 -0700
From:          Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@freegate.com>
To:            Mike Davis <ipscone@halcyon.com>
Cc:            handyboard@media.mit.edu
Subject:       Re: LCD Addressing - & - Expanded Mode

From the driver code I recently sent out:

Mike Davis wrote:
[...]

ipscone@halcyon.com                                 Shoot-To-Win!

Protect the 2nd Amendment!               Your rights may be next!

Re: LCD Addressing - & - Expanded Mode
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 4 May 1998 12:26:07 GMT

Wierd:

Anyway I have some kind of problem with the handyboard.  All steps up
to the testing of the LCD went fine.

When I plugged in the LCD and turned it on, it lights up (one line)
bright not dim.  I tried to download the pcode_hb.s19 with config set
to 0C.  It appeared to download but:

I did not get any sound AND the LCD does not change AND I get an
error stating, "Invalid CONFIG reg (0xFF) try again".  If I read this
error correctly, it is suggesting that the configuration reg could
not be changed.

I have checked the orientation and soldering of each chip and the
LCD connector.  All is fine.  I have also written a small ASSM test
program and verified that it downloads and executes.

I am using an equivelant LCD (DCM16249) listed on handyboard web.
I am using a 68HC811E2 but this should not be a problem since the
EEPROM is disabled.

Any clues as to what the problem might be?

Chuck,

You said you sent out some driver code (LCD I assume).  Is is an
assem driver?  Where is it?

Date:          Mon, 04 May 1998 11:52:52 -0700
From:          Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@freegate.com>
To:            Mike Davis <ipscone@halcyon.com>
Cc:            handyboard@media.mit.edu

From the driver code I recently sent out:

Mike Davis wrote:
[...]

Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 4 May 1998 11:38:28 GMT

So, this still doesn't help me figure out how to address the LCD.  It
has A8 and A9 connected along with a CLK from Port A.

Does this mean that the LCD is NOT memory mapped?  Do I first have to
write to Port B then write to Port A, to clock it.  This must mean

Date:          Sun, 03 May 1998 22:01:27 -0700
From:          Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@freegate.com>
To:            Mike Davis <ipscone@halcyon.com>
Cc:            handyboard@media.mit.edu

Mike Davis wrote:
Two questions:

1) I'm having a little trouble figuring out how the LCD is addressed.
It uses A8 and A8 but also is clocked from Port A.

You can only run the LCD when in single chip mode.

2) The Mode B pin is always grounded.  How does the system get put
into expanded mode since that mode requires Mode B to be high during
reset?  I assume it must be changed (the mode) by the downloaded
program.

This leaves the chip in 'special test mode' that lets you go into and
out of expanded mode by writing the config register.

--Chuck

ipscone@halcyon.com                                 Shoot-To-Win!

Protect the 2nd Amendment!               Your rights may be next!

Re: DS1233 Monitor Chip
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 4 May 1998 08:37:23 GMT

I cannot locate a DS1233 chip.  I have tired DigiKey, Jameco, Mouser,
Active.  What is a good source for this part?

I have an MC34064.  Looks similiar except that it has no 350mSec
delay and a different pinout.  Has anyone tried this chip without any
caps?

I use an MC34064 on a 68hc11, and have never had any problem with it.

Philippe Guermeur
guermeur@ensta.fr

Subject:
Micromouse speed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 4 May 1998 07:59:14 GMT

Hi, does anyone know how fast should a micromouse move?
and the other question is, will the 6811/handyboard have enough capability
(address space) for maze solving? If not, what should I need? extra memory
or 32bits processor?

Thank you for any comment!

John

Re: Controlling a DC motor 3
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 4 May 1998 05:04:03 GMT

At 07:07 AM 5/4/98 +1000, Paul wrote:
Q) The PWM is a sequence of pulses switching on & off the H-Bridge.
But what should be the rate of PWM?  1000Hz??  why?  what does the
rate of PWM depends on?

Within limits, the rate doesn't matter much.  What matters is the ratio of
off time to on time (i.e., the duty cycle).  Probably, you could change the
frequency by an order of magnitude either way and get about the same results.

--Will
                                          , ,
        __@_/             \_@__           |/
          |                /__,           o             @_/
          )\              )              ( \            (\/\\,
~~~~~~~~~ ' ` ~~~~~~~~~~~ ` ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wendy Parson,             Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out
Will Bain,                the trees, then names the streets after them.
& Tatoosh                                                 --Bill Vaughn

Re: LCD Addressing - & - Expanded Mode
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Mon, 4 May 1998 05:01:27 GMT

Mike Davis wrote:
Two questions:

1) I'm having a little trouble figuring out how the LCD is addressed.
It uses A8 and A8 but also is clocked from Port A.

You can only run the LCD when in single chip mode.

2) The Mode B pin is always grounded.  How does the system get put
into expanded mode since that mode requires Mode B to be high during
reset?  I assume it must be changed (the mode) by the downloaded
program.

This leaves the chip in 'special test mode' that lets you go into and
out of expanded mode by writing the config register.

--Chuck

Re: Polarity of PowerJack from HB und Charger Board
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 3 May 1998 23:32:23 GMT

on the interface/charger, since there's a bridge rectifier immediately
normalizing the input jack voltage -- regardless of polarity -- it
kind of doesn't matter which polarity you use.

there is a discrepancy between the int/charger schematic and PCB.  the
schematic shows the input voltage going to pins 2 and 3 of the bridge,
but on the PCB the input goes to pins 1 and 2.

i'm actually not sure of the internal wiring of the db-101 bridge, so
i can't say whether the schematic is drawn correctly (neglecting the
pin number issue and treating the bridge as a collection of 4 diodes).

i should figure out what the right answer is and revise the schematic.
as a matter of consistency, i assume the center pin negative wiring
when i create a new design (would be bad to have two different kinds
of adapters floating around the lab).  so the schematic for the
int/charger breaks this "fred standard adapter" rule.  probably, when
i laid out the int/charger board, i knew i was using an integrated
bridge DIP, and i didn't bother to follow my rule because i knew it
wouldn't matter from a practical standpoint.

i still might have gotten the PCB "right" though - it depends on the
arrangement of the diodes in the bridge.  in which case i should fix
the schematic.

fred

In your message you said:
Hi
I am wondering about the Polarity of the Power Jack at the Handyboard and the

charger board. At the HB the Pin in the middle is ground. At the charger boar • d
the outside Ring is ground.Can anybody tell me why it is different ?

Thanks

stefan.schvttler@t-online.de

Re: Cannot download pcode on a Mac G3
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 3 May 1998 23:17:15 GMT

Paul -- have you tried 6811 Downloader?  Any luck with that?

looks like Randy and I will both need to get our hands on a G3 to
debug our code :-)

Fred

In your message you said:
[...]

Subject:
Cannot download pcode on a Mac G3
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 3 May 1998 22:07:45 GMT

[...]

Subject:
Controlling a DC motor 3
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 3 May 1998 21:07:38 GMT

Thank your for all your replies, I understand what 's going on now

Another question about the motor driver is:
Q) The PWM is a sequence of pulses switching on & off the H-Bridge.
      But what should be the rate of PWM?  1000Hz??  why?  what does the
rate of
PWM    depends on?

Subject:
LCD Addressing - & - Expanded Mode
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 3 May 1998 21:01:21 GMT

Two questions:

1) I'm having a little trouble figuring out how the LCD is addressed.
It uses A8 and A8 but also is clocked from Port A.

Can someone explain how to properly address the LCD using ASM?

2) The Mode B pin is always grounded.  How does the system get put
into expanded mode since that mode requires Mode B to be high during
reset?  I assume it must be changed (the mode) by the downloaded
program.

Can someone explain this sequence, if I am right?  If I am wrong, can
someone explain how expanded mode is entered?
ipscone@halcyon.com                                 Shoot-To-Win!

Protect the 2nd Amendment!               Your rights may be next!

Subject:
recharging a battery the right way
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 3 May 1998 19:56:26 GMT

hello

    I have a 6v 2.0amp battery. Its a lead acid battery. What is the right
way to recharge it?
    The reason I ask is because I had a 12v 7amp battery from the same
manyfacturer. I charged it using a car battery charger at the lowest setting
possible. After 2 days, the cells had expanded and the battery was bloated.
I dont want to repeat that!

thanks for any help.
phil hahn
thehahns@netwurx.net

Subject:
Polarity of PowerJack from HB und Charger Board
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 3 May 1998 18:30:55 GMT

Hi
I am wondering about the Polarity of the Power Jack at the Handyboard and the
charger board. At the HB the Pin in the middle is ground. At the charger board
the outside Ring is ground.Can anybody tell me why it is different ?

Thanks

stefan.schöttler@t-online.de

Subject:
IC communication problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 3 May 1998 15:51:48 GMT

Hello,

Lately I am having problems communicating with the handyboard after it
is reset.
I can download the pcode_hb.s19 file using hbdl.exe downloader.

When the Handyboard is reset by toggling the power switch, the following
is observed.

1st symptom : No welcome message on screen

Running ic.exe after the reset causes something to be written to the
port as indicated by the RS-232 minitester, but nothing is returned from
the Handyboard side.

2nd symptom: <Following log>
Attempting to link to board on port com2
Synchronizing with board
Board disconnected or not responding, retrying
<infinite loop of above statement>

I have checked the Memory Power and it appears to be constant at 5.5V.
I have not checked it with an oscilloscope to see if there are any
spikes in the memory power.

I would appreciate comments in solving this problem.

Thank you,

Tejesh

Subject:
whoops, wrong test program
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 3 May 1998 06:42:44 GMT

Attached to this message is the test program and S19 file for the LCD
code.

--Chuck

--
MIME ATTACHMENTS DISCARDED:

1.  Content-Type: application/x-unknown-content-type-cfile; name="Lcdtest2.c"

2.  Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; name="Lcdtest2.s19"

Subject:
My LCD driver
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 3 May 1998 06:38:38 GMT

Attached to this message is the LCD driver I wrote for the Handyboard
written using ICC11. Feel free to use it.

Some notes on it:

The driver is designed to operate asynchronously. This is because the
LCD can take several milliseconds to complete its operations. If you
busy-wait and the LCD has just started something, you will sit there
waiting, with interupts blocked, yuck!

The main driver is a routine called 'do_lcd()' it is called by my system
'tick' interrupt every millisecond. It checks to see if there is
anything in the queue for the LCD and then it checks to see that the LCD
driver is installed in the zero page of RAM. If neither is true it
returns.

When there is something to do, the driver dereferences a pointer to call
lcd_write(). That routine turns off interrupts, flips the 68HC11 into
single chip mode, and checks to see if the LCD is busy, if it is, it
returns, otherwise it dequeues a character and writes it to the LCD and
returns. In either case it is back out of single chip mode with
interrupts back on in a few microseconds.

In either event, I call lcd_write once a millisecond (if it something to
do) and if doesn't manage to accomplish anything in 10 tries (ie 10mS)
then I set a flag to indicate the LCD is not working. This keeps the
board from hanging if you unplug the LCD.

--Chuck

P.S. I've also attached an S19 file that shows it in operation.

--
MIME ATTACHMENTS DISCARDED:

1.  Content-Type: application/x-unknown-content-type-cfile; name="Lcd.c"

2.  Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; name="Lcdtest.s19"

Subject:
Controlling a DC motor 2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 3 May 1998 05:29:10 GMT

Hi again,  I think i should change my previous question to the
following.

Is there any alternatives to control a DC motor motion (speed, direction
etc) without using a motor driver?
how? please explain briefly.

Thank you for your replies.

Subject:
Handy Board problem
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sun, 3 May 1998 02:29:59 GMT

I was wondering if anyone knows where I could purchase the Sharp Is1U60 IR
detector. I have looked for it, however none of the distributors I have
checked with even carry it.
I tried Digikey, Mouser Electronics, JDR, Jameco, BG Micro, and others.

Any information GREATLY appreciated.

WebGard LLC dba ESSLink
World Wide Web: http://www.esslink.com
Email: info@esslink.com
Phone: (860) 693-2448
Toll Free: 1-800-838-2302
Fax: (860) 693-6298

Subject:
MODB - How Is Expanded Mode Entered
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.handyboard
Date:
Sat, 2 May 1998 23:33:17 GMT

If MODB pin is always grounded, how does the MCU get into expanded
mode to access the 32K SRAM?

The data sheet shows MODB HIGH to enter expanded mode.  It show MODB
LOW to enter single chip mode.

What am I missing?
ipscone@halcyon.com                                 Shoot-To-Win!

Protect the 2nd Amendment!               Your rights may be next!

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact