 Robotics / Handy Board / 3768
Re: LCD Addressing - & - Expanded Mode
Newsgroups:
Date:
Mon, 4 May 1998 13:15:54 GMT

Date:          Mon, 04 May 1998 11:52:52 -0700
From:          Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@freegate.com>
To:            Mike Davis <ipscone@halcyon.com>
Cc:            handyboard@media.mit.edu
Subject:       Re: LCD Addressing - & - Expanded Mode

From the driver code I recently sent out:
* LCD Connections on the Handyboard
* PORTB bit 0 - R/W
* PORTB bit 1 - RS (Register Select, 0 = instruction)
* PORTC 8 bits of Data
* PORTA bit 4 - E clock

Mike Davis wrote:
Does this mean that the LCD is NOT memory mapped?

That is correct, the LCD is NOT memory mapped, it is connected
directly to the pins on the 68HC11 that become ports A, B, and C
in "single chip" mode.

Do I first have to write to Port B then write to Port A, to clock
it.

That is correct.
Something like:
Write B
Write C (this is your data)
Write the clock high
NOP
Write the clock low
(The NOP is to insure the timing requirements of the LCD are met,
you can leave it out but it can screw up when the LCD is cold)

This must mean that I have to go into and out of expanded mode to
use both the LCD and the SRAM?  That's kinda wierd.

Not exactly, it means the SRAM is unavailable to you when you are
in single chip mode, however there is at least 256 bytes of RAM
addressed at address 0 that is available (its inside the
processor). It's not "kinda" weird, it is very, very weird.

Anything else you can point me to as far as addressing the LCD and
accessing SRAM via assembly code?

Other than the source I sent out? Not really. Note that you can't
address SRAM easily in single chip mode. I suspect it is possible
but it is much easier to copy stuff from SRAM into the first 256
bytes before you switch into single chip mode.

--Chuck

ipscone@halcyon.com                                 Shoot-To-Win!

Protect the 2nd Amendment!               Your rights may be next!