 Trains / Train Organizations / 926
Re: Info o GMLTC Style Honeycomb structure
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 2000 06:21:52 GMT

Mark & Milissa Millére wrote:

Chris

Chris

--
PGP public key available upon request.

You know, no one has ever asked...

I'll take the bait, what is it?

BTW, sent to list and you personally

Thanx,

Mark Millére
LUGnet # 525
Visit Milissa's LEGO store, Millére's Spares
<http://www.brickbay.com/store.asp?i=MMillere>

Mark,

  Oh, a public key is an encryption key (secret spy decoder ring stuff, but for
real[1]). PGP stands for Pretty Good Privacy, and it is a freeware program (
http://www.networkassociates.com/ ) that encrypts files, E-mail, or anything you
do not want everyone else reading. The idea is that you distribute your public
key to the world, and anyone can encrypt messages and send the message to you,
but only you can decrypt the message using your closely held private key. The
important thing is that the public key can only encrypt a message, it cannot
decrypt the message, so it doesn't matter who has the key.
  PGP was such a big deal when it came out that the government tried to put the
author in jail because he apparently represented a threat to national security.
After all, he was making it possible for normal people to write E-mail messages
that the government couldn't read.
  You can also sign messages, so people can check to see if you really sent the message.
  I guess no one has ever asked for my public key because no one has ever wanted
to send me anything important.

Chris

1. Of course, the first thing I did was send myself and encrypted message.

P.S. I have never figured out...OK, I have never tried to figure out how to set
the FUT stuff, so if anyone feels like spinning this thread off to where it
belongs feel free....