 Trains / Train Organizations / 924
Re: Info o GMLTC Style Honeycomb structure
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 2000 05:43:23 GMT

John Neal wrote:

Christopher Masi wrote:

John Neal wrote:

James Brown wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Steve Chapple writes:
In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:
Kim Toll wrote:
I'm interested in building up a bit of a Lego landscape similar
to the GMLTC modules.

...the pattern we at the GMLTC have perfected.  Check it out here:

I too am interested in the "honeycomb" pattern details.  No sense
"re-inventing the wheel".  The link seems to only provide a hint
though - it looks like one step in an instruction book of dozens?

Nope, it's all you need (for pictoral reference, anyway).  From left to right:

2x2 bricks, in towers.  Height on these will vary depending on how
high/stable you want your structure.  IIRC, GMLTC uses 5 high towers, Mike
P. uses 6 high.  Both recommend not going much higher, or it gets unstable.

2x4 bricks, bracing and interlocking the towers.  This would be done between
tower sections (every 5 or 6 bricks high), and also just below the top layer.

2x4 bricks, as the building surface.

Pretty much it.  The green bricks are your outside wall, and you tie into the
wall every 5-6 bricks high.  That is why you need the rim of 1x4s, to avoid
"disturbing" the alternating binding appearance from the outside.  It's a very
clean and elegant design which maximizes common bricks AND is nice and strong.

-John (FU set to org)

I've been thinking about the possibilities of doing 5 or 6 high modules, to
let us work some terrain variation in.  The real hitch with that is you
start needing to store them, and you start needing to worry about
transporting them.

James

Are you guys, GMLTC, switching to a green surface? If not, why not? To
expensive? Don't see the need?

Green, tan, brown, dark gray, 220, 221....whatever it takes;-)  In our group, expense
is not an issue-- it was always about availability with reason.  Now that the earth
tones are appearing in bulk, you can rest assured that there will be no more "red
earth" (at least on the *top* layer;-)

-John

Just curious,
Chris
--
PGP public key available upon request.

Wow, now that will look truly great. Don't get me wrong, the GMLTC layouts
always looked great, but everything was well red. I kinda looked like New Jersey
at crop planting time. The green base-plates at the NELUG's layout (it was NELUG
I am thinking of wasn't it?) looked great, and extending earth tones to a GMLTC layout...wow.

Chris

--
PGP public key available upon request.

You know, no one has ever asked...