 Trains / 8775

Subject:
Info o GMLTC Style Honeycomb structure
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 06:51:39 GMT

I'm working on a module for the PNLTC display at GATS next year (in Feb) and
I'm interested in building up a bit of a Lego landscape similar to the GMLTC
modules.

Now don't go thinking I've totaly abandoned plywood.  I'm still a
dyed-in-the-wool plywooder.  I don't have enough bricks for anything else :)
But, I'd like to build up a 5 to 6 brick layer that I can use for some
relief in the terrain.  And of course, I'd like to do it with the fewest
number of bricks possible.

I seem to recal quite a discussion here a year or two ago between Mike
Poindexter and some of the GMLTC John's (1, 2 or 3, maybe all of them :)
about the honeycomb structure they used in their modules.  And I think there
was a web site where some of this was documented.  Could someone point me to
this, or alternately, attempt to describe, in text, the method they use?  I
have several structures I've been playing with but it seems silly not to
look at what others have used successfully.

I'm open to any other suggestions people have.  My goals are that it has to
be sturdy, and it needs to use as few bricks as possible.  These two goals
are in tension, but I'm sure I can come up with a happy compromise.

Now, before any of you go flogging me for not checking the mail archives,
let me tell you that I tried.  But mail search has been disabled :(
(Apparently this is causing (or contributing) to some instability in the
servers, so Todd has shut it donw for a while.)  So that wasn't much help.
And slogging through thousands of posts by hand seemed daunting.

Thus, my message.  Besides, more than one of us may learn something this way!

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Kim
PNLTC member

Re: Info o GMLTC Style Honeycomb structure
[...]

Hey Kim-

Glad to help out someone off the plywood;-)  John Gerlach posted on his Brickbay
page the pattern we at the GMLTC have perfected.  Check it out here:

Be careful up there at 5 bricks high-- you might need oxygen;-D

-John (J-2)

[...]

I too am interested in the "honeycomb" pattern details.  No sense
"re-inventing the wheel".  The link seems to only provide a hint
though - it looks like one step in an instruction book of dozens?

SRC
StRuCtures

Re: Info o GMLTC Style Honeycomb structure