 Trains / 8812
Re: Track Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 21:13:50 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Powell writes:
Rick C. wrote:
Can't do it with prototypes either, I think. Not legally, anyway,... ;-)

(about doing flying passes)-yes, you can, but usually you run out of room
to do it rather than anything else.

Modern US prototype railroading does this fairly regularly when in double
(or more) CTC controlled territory. You just have to complete the pass in
some reasonable time (every block usually has crossovers to let you get back
in your "lane")

Pennsy had a 4 track main through much of Pennsylvania so this was extremely
common.

You can also do what is called a "sawbuck",
which is when you have one train longer than the siding take the siding
to pass the other train- weird to see, but easy enough to do.

I believe (with less certainty than the above) that this is very uncommon
these days but not unheard of...

It's like poleing, which is NOT illegal,
in spite of what some people think-it's just frowned on.

I'll take that action... I believe it's against the rules in most railroad
rulebooks which is the closest to illegal you can get. Since most switchers
no longer carry polehooks or poles, it's fairly moot. (I think a lot of
modern cars don't even *have* poling pockets but I could be wrong).

++Lar

James