 Trains / 6966
Re: Lego Points Motor Instructions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 20 Aug 2000 01:33:52 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Bryan Kinkel writes:
"Ed McGlynn" <ejmcglynn@Juno.com> wrote in message
news:FzHwwH.2A9@lugnet.com...
Motors are cheap these days thanks to Znap clearances at
TRU.

I noticed that the ZNAP supplied battery box looks different than the
battery box supplied with the standard Technic battery box. Is there a
difference between the two? Is there a downside to using one battery box vs.
the other?

Bryan

Bryan -

In some Znap sets, the 9v motor is powered by a black 9v battery box - one
cell battery in a small black studded box.  Other sets (I don't recall the
numbers off hand) use the 6 cell 9v battery box with latching polarized
current buttons.  That is, there's two buttons on it.  The box is the same as
the Technic battery boxes that take 6 1.5v batteries, it's just in black with
a yellow bottom.

The two button, 6 cell box will act as an electrical brake on the newer
Technic motors.  When the motor is connected to the terminals of this battery
box, the motor axle will not spin or coast freely.  It's electrically braked
from rotating in either direction.  When you press one of the directional
buttons on the battery box, the motor will spin in the appropriate direction
while the button is momentarily pressed, and will immediately stop when the
button is released - no coast.  The motor is driven in a stepped and discrete
fashion - on/off.  This is the same in either direction.  In addition, you can
engage the momentary buttons into a fixed on position, and the motor will
receive current until the opposing button is pressed.  That will release the
other button and stop the motor immediately.  If you press the buttons just
right, you can make the motors coast to a stop when you release them, but they
seem to be eingineered to be electrically braked.  I use these boxes for
remote switches and uncouplers, as they allow me to engage devices on then off
and reverse the direction of the motor at will.

The single cell 9v battery box provides a single on/off button that does not
reverse the polarity of the voltage going to the motor.  I use these boxes
when space is limited, and usualyy in conjunction with a 5120 polarity switch,
or else in an application where a songle motorl direction is desired.

With all that said, there's no difference in the 6x1.5v battery boxes except
color.  The 1x9v battery box is the same as the earlier white ones.  Each has
different applications.

Ed