 Trains / 6949
Re: Lego Points Motor Instructions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 16:09:53 GMT

Chris -

You've successfully addressed a problem that I noticed with the switching
toggle tabs on the points - they do start to flex after some time.  That made
me nervous too.  I never broke a tab, but they did get more pliable and
actually stayed that way to some extent.  Your design saves me a lot of time
and trouble as I was just starting to experiment with other implementations of
the direct drive point switch priciple.  Nice work!

Great idea to use the 1x4x1 lattice fence.  That prompted one of those "why
didn't _I_ think of that?" responses out of me.  Plus, I really like the
compact nature or the finished switchbox - it leaves a lot of room for
individualization.  I'm going to try out your design tonight and start a longer
term test on it.  Maybe I'll cycle the switch every few minutes for a day or so
to see what happens.  Motors are cheap these days thanks to Znap clearances at
TRU.

Thanks for the well documented examples on your site,
Ed

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi writes:
Jeff Elliott wrote:

Hello,

A number of people have asked that I replace the instructions for the
Automated Points Motor which Matt Bates has featured on his web site at

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/train_depot/pmotor2.htm

Some of these requests are from waaaay back, I just don't move very
quickly sometimes :(  Anyway, they're back for the time being, so fire
away.

I should note that some people have had difficulty with this solution,
so best of luck!

Jeff

A while ago Ludo Soete, Ed McGlynn, and others were talking about a direct
drive automated point mechanism. I was inspired by their discussion, so I
updated my points. My new design is really their design, but I have posted
pictures here

http://cmasi.chem.tulane.edu/~lego/trains/pointsnew/points.htm

Like the text says, they work great on all but the highest power setting.

I do not know what the issue is regarding new/old points, I am guessing
that mine may be old points, but I would be surprised if the direct drive
mechanism didn't work on all points.

Chris

--
PGP public key available upon request.