 Trains / 6327
Re: New Pics 4-8-8-4 Big Boy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 25 Jun 2000 19:20:58 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Warren writes:
In lugnet.trains, Stacy Bledsoe writes:
Finally, I have taken some time to post some pics of my 4-8-8-4 Big Boy
steamer.

Please take a moment to check it out and as always, comments and snide • remarks
are welcome.

Thanks,
Stacy

I have to say this is one of the best large engines I have seen to date.  I
am simply amazed at your complicated technique of getting around the curves.
One question about the pins connecting the engine body and the tender body
to the wheels.  Do the pins connect solid to the bodies via a hole or did
you make some kind of slit in the body for the pins to slide back and forth
in?  I attempted a large engine model and I found connecting the pins
solidly to the engine body restricted the wheel trucks from moving enough
going into the curves.  I am trying to come up with a better technique for
this and you seem to have perfected it with your engine.  Look forward to
your next creation!

John Warren

Thank you, John.  To answer your questions, The front truck is attached to the
body using the "saddle/steam pipes" portion. If you have a chance to see a
Rivorrosi Big Boy HO scale locomotive, the mechanics are the same.  There is a
simple pivot at the third set of drivers on the first truck.  This attaches to
the body along with the steam pipes at the side of the boiler.  The weight of
the pilot at the front of the engine is taken by attaching the technic shocks
(minus the spring) to a couple of swinging pivots just above the pilot set
of "wheels".  Actually, at this point if you were to put the 9v motor under
the cab, it would work without the second set of eight drivers (the second
truck).  This is what you want to achieve, therefore the second truck is able
to swing out indepently from the rest of the train, because it is not
supporting any weight.  The second truck is attached to the 9v motor via a
pivot joint.  And, you were right, the second truck swings back and forth on a
technic 6-hole piece and is pin connected to the underside of the body and the
truck.  Also, the is a slit in the bottom of the boiler which allows the
technic piece to slide back and forth, to accomodate the extra swing it would
need.

I hope I answered your question.  Please write if you have more.

Stacy