 Trains / 5932
Re: New Pics of my Hiawatha Locomotive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 20 May 2000 19:57:26 GMT

Nick Goetz wrote:

Sweet job. I especially like the black rail that runs around the top of the
engine. It adds a very nice detail.

Thank you.

    How well does that thing round corners? I have found that with the
longer wheelbase you sometimes run into coupling issues. Any insight to you
method would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Cornering, of course, is the rub when creating larger locos because of the
unnaturally tight curvature of the track.  We are trying to design something
that works yet  in real life is impossible.  So compromises are inevitable.  I
had to add washers to my drivers to give them more weight or they wouldn't
take the curves at all.  But after I got that problem worked out it runs ok.
When I get some time I will post pics of it in a curve.  As you might imagine,
it looks rather ungainly, but such is life:-/

As far as coupling goes, I preemptively decided to go with technic 1x plates
to couple the cars.  Even without even having tried magnets, I know they would
break apart on me-- 5 planned 8 wide cars are not an easy load, especially
when the train hits a curve.  And since it will be about 10 feet long, it will
be in *2* curves a lot of the time.  Coupling the cars in a dedicated manner
like this is a big pain, but until TLC comes out with their version of a
knuckle coupler, I'm stuck.  I am too much of a purist to incorporate a
non-LEGO coupler though that would be sweet.

Now, as far as my 14 wides go, I use G scale trucks (wheels) which have arms
attached to them that hold the (Kadee) couplers.  This method, though
unprototypical, kills 2 birds with one stone-- I get wheels and couplers in
one impure package;-) I have no problem with this as I am going to run them on
G scale track anyway.  This way I'll be able to mix them in with any G
scaler's rolling stock at train shows without any trouble-- now that should be
fun:-)

-John

-Nick