 Trains / 5923
Re: New Pics of my Hiawatha Locomotive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.build
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2000 22:10:31 GMT

James Powell wrote:

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:
I having been working on and off on my 8 wide Hiawatha loco since last
winter and have finally finished it:-)

And what a engine it is!

I have also redesigned my 8 wide passenger cars for it, basically
eliminating the 1x4x3 train windows and replacing them with 1x2x2 thin
walls.  The scale works out much better with the thin walls.  In fact, I
will no longer use train windows in my trains (wides), but that is
another story.  I have only finished two of the cars; the other 4 are in
various stages of completion.

Hope you enjoy them!

Yep, even if it is 8 wide :)

John, a really nice job of making this loco.  What are you using as the driver
wheels though?

*Impurity Warning* ;-)

The drivers are the wheels from the 5571 Monster Rig <gasp> cut in half.  Then I
had to <gasp> file down one of the flanges on each wheel.  Finally, in order to
get the thing to run properly, I <gasp> glued washers onto the backs of the
drivers to give them some weight so they wouldn't hop the rails.

Gary Istok says it's ok to cut bricks....I'll have to get back to you on the
gluing washers part;-)

-John

It looks right nice as far as a loco goes, even if it is bigger
than my creations (such as the 200 HP sentinel...I have to do up the web page
some more...)

James