 Trains / 5328
Re: Proof of a Hoax? (was: New 9V Digital Trains for Germany this Autumn)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 22:03:07 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

James Powell <wx732@freenet.victoria.bc.ca> wrote in message
Someone else commented on the problems of the box being hit by trains, it
shouldn't be, since it is onto the other end of the switch, so it should • clear.

James P

No, it will NOT CLEAR.  It is on the "other side" in regards to being before
the switch, but it is on the curved side instead of the straight side.  A
long car going through the switch will "cheat" the curve and hit the box.
If it was on the other side, it would have no problems, as the overhang is
on the inside.  (Unless the car juts out enough on the outside of the curve
to cause it to hit the box, but increasing clearance on the front or rear is
easier than increasing clearance in the middle of a car.

This new point motor WILL BE 8-wide hell.  If these things come to pass, I
will want them, as I am sure the rest of the GMLTC will.  Will this cause
them to switch back to 6 wide rolling stock?  And how will John Neal take
it?  8-wide and no switches or 6 wide and DCC?  What a dilemma!

Mike