 Trains / 30961
Re: BBB&C "new" 4-2-0 and Class A Shay locomotives
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 18 Nov 2009 18:30:18 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Kurt Baty wrote:
   A two truck, two cylinder, “Class A” Shay Locomotive

My BBB&C’s locomotive number 7

I should say that I built this MOC in response an article called “SELECTIVE COMPRESSION APPLIED TO MECHANICAL DETAILS” by Steve Barile in RAILBRICKS issue 3 on page 34-35 where it says:

“The Shay does not have traditional steam driver wheels but instead only front and rear two axle trucks. What is tricky about modeling the Shay is the rotating, bending, and changing length of the drive shaft, while maintaining a 90° crown gear connection to each axle as well as a connection to the vertical piston rods. It barely makes mechanical sense while studying the real engine. Trying to achieve this in a six wide (even eight wide) train with a pure LEGO solution seems to be impossible (ha, a challenge!).”

I hope my 8-wide MOC answers this challenge!