 Trains / 30967
Re: BBB&C "new" 4-2-0 and Class A Shay locomotives
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 2009 06:34:34 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Kurt Baty wrote:
   In lugnet.trains, Timothy Gould wrote:

Hi Kurt,

Great work on making a small working Shay. Very impressive engineering achievment. The models themselves pack in a lot of details too making them look as good as they work.

One suggestion to invite people to look/comment on your model is to take better photos. Your current photos make it very difficult to actually see the train and thus difficult/unappealling to comment on. There’s various threads out there discussing it and a search on ‘photographing lego’ should yield a wealth of information.

Tim

PS. I’m writing this on Lugnet to be retro. There’s still a lot of discussion on LEGO trains but Flickr has a lot of experienced train builders (and inexperienced) and Eurobricks has a lot of people in their trains forum.

Thanks for the feedback Tim! I am glad you liked the MOC!

<< SNIP >>
   I should have posted pics like these here? I have only linked to “thumbnails” for posts here, I got flack years ago for too large pics, maybe those days are over.

Also I have found that shooting black LEGO is hard (for me at least) and I run photos through picture-it to touch-up their contrast.

I should make a better photo shooting setup... sometime.

Anyway food for thought!

thanks

kurt

I more mean that your ‘invitation’ shot (like you posted) needs to be a lot clearer. The modern internet user is a lazy beast and easily distracted so giving a nice clear picture for them to immediately grasp is one way of ensuring that their attention is held.

Shooting black is hard. If you invest in a large piece of white cardboard (a light grey could be even better) you will end up with significantly clearer pictures.

That is taken with a cheap camera in sub-tropical daylight with no props other than the piece of card. You also need to make sure that you have your camera settings right.

Sorry for the lecture but I feel it’s a shame when good models are presented in a way that makes them less inviting. An extra half hour or so at the end if the build can make a huge difference to the attention, and this model deserves attention.

Tim