 Trains / 29863
Re: LEGO 7996 and 9V
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2008 20:35:26 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Gereon Stein wrote:
Hi,

I was just wondering - has anyone yet considered whether there might be a way to
"9voltify" the LEGO 7996 set (switched rail crossing)? I mean, there we do have
a very useful piece of track, however it is only usable for RC trains so far.
What could possibly be done about that?

While we are at it - would there be any way to modify the RC track to work with
"old style" 9V trains? I know it's probably not worth taking all the pain, but
since I'd like a 7996 for my layout, I thought I'd ask...

Thanks,

Jerry

Myself and others have used copper foil
<http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=29556>
<http://news.lugnet.com/trains/?n=29598>

I converted a 7996 just before Christmas, and installed it in my elevated train
layout.  So far it's run flawlessly for different trains for over 20 hours of
run time. I used pre-tinned (silvered) copper tape. I used 1/4" which gives you
the same profile as the 9v track metal. I covered all the rails with metal,
including the points. And drilled and wired the gaps, but left unwired gaps
accross the centers of the crossing sections. This way if the voltage
(direction) on the two tracks are the same, the train runs fine. If not the
train stops half way thrue the crossing. You could just tape all the striaght
rails and jupper to the middle segments, that way you could at least run any
length engine set thrue the section when not switching track.

The real broblem with the 7996, wether you metalize it or not is the linked
switch controls. My next project is to split the controlls and add solenoids for
remote switching.

BTW, The tape is made by Venture Tape, get the "silvered" version, #1660.

It runs around $15 for a large roll of the 1/4 inch. I recomend the 1/4, or upto
5/8" if you want more adhesive surface area.

Mat