 Trains / 29864
Re: LEGO 7996 and 9V
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2008 20:18:26 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Dave Sterling wrote:

   ... That’s a great idea! Do you any pictures of your setup and how you routed the wire between the motors? This sounds like something I would love to try. Thanks for the tip.

-Dave

Running wires between cars is probably not as tough as getting the lead from the motor to the car or engine. Although LEGO made a train headlamp kit, the wire coming off the motor connector tended to get in the way, especially on turns. We often thought that it would be nice to route the wire through the center of the motor pivot pin, leaving the challenge to routing the wire between trains. For our proof of concept, we didn’t try to disguise or minimize the inter-car connect. Conceptually, one idea might be to take tiny super magnets with a wire lead attached to each and mount two of them side by side in place of the LEGO magnet in each coupler. That way, when the cars couple up, electrical contact is made at the same time. There certainly are small magnets that are more powerful than the LEGO supplied ones.

-Ted